Rome

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdenWeb

Has anyone been to Rome? I'm taking a few days off and heading over before Christmas. Anything I should see/avoid apart from the obvious.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Was in Rome 2 years ago and really enjoyed it.

My recommendations hmm ... the obvious :D

At this time of the year I'm not sure what the crowds would be like for the vatican .. maybe the first day there you can take a strole nearby it and see if the queues are heavy.

My only recommendations are stear clear of the lads selling the handbags and designer glasses.

We ate like kings most of the time there and a jug of house wine was nearly always good in any of the places I visited. We tried doing the Full meal only once as we found them huge.

I'd recommend not eating at any of the tourist attractions as they can be ridiculously priced.

Thats all I can think of at the moment

EdenWeb

Cheers. I'd heard that the prices along the main tourist areas can be expensive. Handbags and designer glasses are not my thing so I should be ok there :)

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Still didn't stop us ordering a drink and sitting down right beside the Colleseum :D was pretty amazing just sitting there cars buzzing by and a hundred or two hundred meters away there it was.

Can't really think of anything else apart from mind your wallet but that goes without saying ... there are however a LOT of pickpockets in rome.

If you get a chance again I'd definite recommend Venice ... I think its one of my favourite places so far

We did 3 days in Venice 2 Days in Florence and 4 days in Rome and I think it was just about the right amount of time (I personally didn't think that much of Florence but VA did)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The coliseum is worth visiting, or at least it was the last time I was in the city (about 15 years ago!)

TheMenace

Rome is a great city - my personal favourite by a country mile.

As everyone else has said, the obvious sites are the best ones to see! Most of them are within walking distance of each other as well. If you get the Metro Line A (the orange one) to Spagna, you can see The Spanish Steps. Just off the main square you have all your boutique shops and the main thoroughfare, Via Del Corso. If you make your way South East down Via Del Corso, you'll find the Trevi Fountain (a must-see) and then up the end of Via Del Corso, you'll find the Vittorio Emanuele monument which is really impressive. Behind this is the Coloseum and the Roman Forum which are also very impressive.

Then there are other attractions off the beaten path - the Pantheon being one of the most impressive. The Vatican is good - if you're stuck for time, skip the Vatican itself and just see the Vatican Museum which is really good.

For relaxing, there's Piazza Navona which is a big square with lots of coffee shops and restaurants as well as lovely fountains and monuments. If you're looking for a really special Italian meal, try l'Orso 80 which is close by. I recommend the anti-pasta. Just don't order anything else as it's enormous!

As was already said - watch out for pickpockets, particularly in the Metro stations and on the trains. Be aware of who's around you when withdrawing money from cash machines as well.

Also, check the price of restaurants before entering. Romans have a great temperament but some of them are thieving cvnts, so be aware that they will try to rip you off. NEVER take a waiter's recommendation for a dish unless you know the price first. This is a typical Roman trick where you order the special and they charge you 50 Euro for it!

caminowebmaster

I was in Rome earlier this year, for the first time. As said already see the Vatican - what a business!

But after living here in Dublin for ten years on and off it did not seem expensive at all, we even did some cloths shopping. All the usual sites are well worth visiting. I had studied Greek and Roman history for a while at Uni and it was just great to think of the time some of the building have been standing and the people who had stood there before.

The top of the Spanish Steps is a great places for photos esp just at sunset.

enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.