Shared hosting that can handle large archives

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOH

Can anyone recommend shared Linux hosting in Ireland that provides any one or more of the following:

- SSH access
- Remote-remote FTP support (FXP)
- A file manager that can extract tarballs (.tar.gz)
- A file manager that can handle large numbers of files

Basically, I'm trying to install Magento on shared hosting. I already have it running, performance is acceptable.

The problem is that to get the latest version installed is a nightmare. I need to run it in parallel to confirm I have no issues before upgrading, but I can't even get the installation files extracted into a folder.
- I've no SSH access, so can't do a wget to retrieve the install archive.
- After FTPing the archive down from Magento to my local machine and back up to the server, I found the file manager can only handle zip files, not tars.
- I extracted it and zipped it locally, uploaded it again, to find the file manager crashed extracting the archive
- I FTPd all the files individually, which took over an hour (10000+ files). I then discovered I needed to move them up a folder level - file manager crashed again, after partially completing the process, leaving the whole subfolder structure corrupt. As a final insult, it's now repeatedly borking while I try to delete everything and start again.

I've even tried uploading scripts to do the wget, tar extraction, or even just a mv, but these don't work, presumably due to security restrictions (fair enough).

I've been advised by support that their file manager can't handle large numbers of files, or large archives, and I should do everything through FTP - this isn't really practical since it's so slow.

It's frustrating since it would all be done in seconds with a tar -zxvf and an mv, but I've wasted half a day on it so far.

I know I could upgrade to a VPS and get SSH access and everything would be fine, but given that my only current problem is basic file management this seems a bit extreme.

link8r

Hi Moh,

We recently setup 5 test versions of Magento without issue. But these were fresh installs. Is copying up the data the issue?

If it's the data, could you just transfer the data via PHPMyAdmin or MySQL Control Centre?

MOH

Hi Moh,

We recently setup 5 test versions of Magento without issue. But these were fresh installs. Is copying up the data the issue?

If it's the data, could you just transfer the data via PHPMyAdmin or MySQL Control Centre?

No, it's just getting the actual archive of the magento install files onto the server, and unpacked. The only solution I'm being offered is to unpack them all locally before uploading, which takes hours.

MOH

In case someone else ends up in a similar situation, I eventually found a workaround. I can do everything I'm trying to do - wget, tar, etc - in a cron job.

It's a bit fiddly since I need to stick it all in a script, upload that, set up a cron job to call it, wait for it to run, and put my own logging on it. But it's a hell of a lot faster than what I was doing. Bit miffed now that support never suggested that option, but at least I'm sorted from here on.

Status
Not open for further replies.