Site Now Available Over IPv6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byron

Hmm I get the point of IPv6 but I am struggling to see how it will affect me personally, will I have to change anything any time soon, or will all current IPs remain?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Everything and everybody will have to start using IPv6 as there aren't any IPv4 addresses left

It's not a matter of "if" but rather "when"

Byron

Hmm I suppose most things will update themselves, e.g. routers, etc, it will just need to be a case of looking out for domain pointing, etc?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
At the ISP / hosting provider level most companies have either already upgraded their hardware (and software) or are in the process of doing it.

However there are still quite a few things that don't work properly under IPv6 (or just aren't fully supported / as well supported)

For example, due to the sheer number of IP addresses possible in IPv6 a lot of things simply won't scale. At least not with the current technologies / hardware readily available

Firewalls are another area that is "fun", as getting some of the more advanced things to work under both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously is far from easy

And as for your own equipment ..

Most domestic and small business routers, firewalls and other network equipment currently do not support IPv6. Some can be patched / upgraded, but a lot will have to be replaced.

I've been using a pretty nifty device at home for the last few months which does support IPv6 and has a load of other features: FRITZ!Box by AVM

And with regard to websites / dns etc., for some of it you won't have to worry, as it will be handled for you, but some software (MySQL springs to mind) still doesn't support IPv6 properly, so there can and will be issues to overcome.

Byron

Fair points,

I would say most of the equipment in my house is fairly... rudimentary as far as IT goes, once there are no issues, with PC's, Laptops and DAB radios!

I like the look of that device, especially for VOIP capabilities.

Websites should be fine, except for my 20 sites reliant on MySQL, I presume most of the usage will be fine as Joomla and Word Press will be well up on this!

... To be fair, I am probably just going to panic for a few days when a full switch off happens, as will most vendors, and then everything will hopefully be ok...

Status
Not open for further replies.