some new thoughts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
After having spoken to Louie the last night and a few others ... I realised I need to start tuning out BADLY from work in the evenings and at weekends.

Now I know there have probably been threads on this before but have people actually been successful in tuning out and getting back to something approaching a normal life ... ?

I'm finding I feel burnt out these days ... which results in a lack of motivation .. and not being extremely creative. (should have had my own site up and running by now but again its on the back boiler ... even though I've some good ideas for it)

That said its 5:38 and I'm listening to faithless - insomnia having my first coffee and about to start into work properly :D

Redfly

Do you work at home?

This might sound counter intuitive, but the day I moved from a home office to a "real" office was the day all that ended. The cost of the office space is offset many times over by productivity.

Forbairt

Yeah I'm working from home ...

My initial thoughts when moving to dublin were that I was going to get some office space. I did some looking into it all but in the end we took a house which gives me an office (of sorts ... not ideal)

I guess it might be something to look into again. Shared office space or similar as its just me (and the cat ... hence the .. we / our :p on the website).

Redfly

My initial thoughts when moving to dublin were that I was going to get some office space. I did some looking into it all but in the end we took a house which gives me an office (of sorts ... not ideal)

I guess it might be something to look into again. Shared office space or similar as its just me (and the cat ... hence the .. we / our :p on the website).

Yup, working at a home office is a very difficult thing to get right. I'd look into it or even take a look at the coworking site.

Forbairt

Yup, working at a home office is a very difficult thing to get right. I'd look into it or even take a look at the coworking site.

Yeah I'd given Jason a buzz a while back about that before I moved up ... reckon I'll try giving myself a week or two at this (where I shut down at 6 or 7 at night and take a day off at the weekend completely) to get a better idea if its working or not.

I came back from holidays hoping to be refreshed ... but it wasn't the case .. a week just isn't enough time.

paul

Ninja
How about getting a hobby ? You need to find something that will allow you to tune out. Set limits when you will work, like say 8am to 6pm, after that it's time for other life stuff. Turn off the PC and step back. Currently I am working a fair bit, in fact doing two jobs, and it can be hard to take a break. Normally it doesn't happen until I am forced to do one (like this weekend when I go to Kraków where I won't take the PC).

But I know I will be doing 1 job very soon :D

Forbairt

How about getting a hobby ? You need to find something that will allow you to tune out. Set limits when you will work, like say 8am to 6pm, after that it's time for other life stuff. Turn off the PC and step back. Currently I am working a fair bit, in fact doing two jobs, and it can be hard to take a break. Normally it doesn't happen until I am forced to do one (like this weekend when I go to Kraków where I won't take the PC).

Well I just bought a keyboard (piano) ... but again that'll end up being computer related ...

I do read ... enjoying Atlantis at the moment ...

I should probably start running again ... haven't gotten around to it since I moved to dublin ...

I guess every little change will end up affecting the mentality at the end of the day ... and lead to a happier me ... :D

garycocs

Atlantis is a good one all right, know what you mean about not being able to switch off, going to sleep thinking about code and solutions to it.

Sorry couldnt make the pints the last night lads, weather kinda got me bogged down over in stillorgan, hope it was a good one!

MickyWall

Hi James,

I'd agree with Dave, moving into an office definitely helped separate work life from home life.
Although I do some work from home at the weekends during the week once I get home that tends to be it.
I find having to pay for the office spurs me on, I'll make the extra call etc. and put a little bit more effort into getting new clients.

Forbairt

Valerie-Anne was working in the room next door a bit and I actually found it great for some reason (knowing someone else is workin there really makes you think ... well they are working ... I should be too)

I guess ... I should start looking into it again ... coworking is probably the option for me at the moment ... (might approach enterprise board and see what my options are)

JamesFarrell

Hey James,

Nice to meet you briefly on Saturday. I hope we have more time to talk next time.

Yea I feel a lot better since I stopped burning the mid-night oil.

For me it's about starting the week on good footing cause if I start monday wrong I'm stuffed for the week.

I enjoyed an article on earners blog about working from home. I can't rememebr it's content well enough to remember how much I took on board.

In general the problem is trying to seperate life and your job. You should try plan your week and only work when you planned to. It's about dicipliining yourself I guess.

I often have a commitment on Tuesday evenings which makes me get up early to work a full day and that tends to set me in the right vein for the week.

Hope that helps...

James

Forbairt

Hey James,

Nice to meet you briefly on Saturday. I hope we have more time to talk next time.

Yeah unfortunately so many people so little time at these things ... and didn't help arriving late either

Really should think about attending one of those coffee mornings at some stage ... anyone else go to them ?

I always find I read these ... make progress for a week or two then slip back into my old ways ...

Maybe I just need more willpower / motivation to stick with it ...

Flexitimer

Yeah get an office, I'm moving from home office next week and can't wait. Apart from the obvious distractions at home, I'm looking forward to getting back on my bike and getting a bit of exercise from commute. My business partner is based in Dublin and has desk in UCD Nova which is pretty good. Quite cheap and excellent facilities off Fosters Avenue

Status
Not open for further replies.