Spiders' View of this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just out of interest I'll try and keep you all posted on how Google and other search engines are indexing this site...

To date only three pages indexed by Google.
Yahoo - zero pages indexed
MSN - one page indexed

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Google has now indexed 12 pages

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
A minor update for you all:

• Google - 75 pages
  • Yahoo - 4 pages
  • MSN - 33 pages
I'm not going to start looking into the keyword / phrases side of it just yet, but it's on my todo list :)

louie

you need to update this man.

Results 1 - 10 of about 200 from forum.search.ie
if you search for: site:forum.search.ie

or
Results 1 - 10 of about 209 for site: forum.search.ie.
if you serach for : site: forum.search.ie

Gavin

My guess is that you have been too busy to come back to this.

Google - 666 pages (Yikes)
Yahoo - 252 pages
MSN - 435 pages

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like google hasn't dropped any of the old links to forum.search.ie
There's a load of dead ones still in the index
*sigh*

Gavin

It’s strange that Google can’t fix this and I have been reading that even placing a 410 on the pages Google will translate them as a 404, so the bot will keep coming back to index.

I also see those pages are supplemental, apparently, they will stay in the index for a year.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I think there are ways of getting rid of the links... At present they're all giving a 404, so I can't see why the hell they are still included!

Gavin

The 404 message isnt really stating that the page has been removed, it can be a temporary 'page not found' so the engines are going to keep coming back for an update.

The 410 however is telling the engines the page has been removed forever so stop wasting time coming back - but its a bit strange that Google sees a 410 as 404, I would say thats Google just being stubborn as not to remove data from their index.

Google hate to remove information from their index and it would "seem" this could be the main reason why old urls are still being listed.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Ha so I am not the only one that has a number of Google accounts.

I wouldn't mind if they were simply split work vs personal, but I've ended up with a silly number of them and I can't see any sane way to amalgamate them

Status
Not open for further replies.