The heavier side of web work..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know how many regulars on here are employees, run their own companies or are sole traders, but I presume there's a mixture of all three..

I'm sure we've all made plenty of mistakes and learnt valuable lessons in the process, so maybe people would like to share some of their experiences or ask for some advice from peers.

Disclaimer
As always this is a forum. While people may share their experiences and opinions nothing should be construed as being the definitive answer. If you are not sure about a point of law etc., you should check with a solicitor / accountant / qualified professional

paulocon

Hi,

I am an employee myself - work as a software developer but at web-design in my spare-time.

Do web design, more on the content-managed side of things. It started off some years ago as something to learn. Took a break completely for a few years but over the last year have found myself with more spare-time (kids a wee bit older). Was a hobby but making a nice few bob from it.

Advice to anyone is that 'Rome wasn't built in a day'. Start small, out the emphasis on service and build on that. Maybe someday down the line, I'll have enough work and repeat income to work for myself but in the meantime, it's a nice way to earn a few extra bob and meet some interesting people...

ph3n0m

a. Whatever you agree to do - always get a deposit

b. Draw up a workable and legal contract between yourself and whomever you are doing the work for - to protect yourself

c. Always, always leaves enough time to test, test, test

d. The client is not always right, and sometimes they have to be educated

e. Compromise - even if a client wants something that you know is ugly, un-wise, etc - give it to them, after all you are working for them, plus they will play you :)

I am sure more will come to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.