Web forwarding / Letshost.ie

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian5750

HI Folks

One of those 'frantic rush' jobs.
Client has registered the same name in three variants, .co.uk, .com and .ie

and needs them all forwarded to a basic holding page with a simple form on it - until such time as the 'proper' website can be constructed.

Trouble is - he's gone ahead and purchased the domains from people I don;t normally deal with - so it's learn-a-new-control-panel time.

The .co.uk is with godaddy - and is now set up with temporary web forwarding - all fine...

The .com and the .ie are with Letshost.ie
I've a sneaking suspicion that _purchasing_ a domain though them doesn't include the ability to actually _do_ anything with it (like set up forwarding) - and that you have to buy hosting with them to let you do this. I asked their support people this question last night - but still waiting for an answer - so thought I'd see if anybody here knows...?

Any info / experiences you've had of this would be great......

Thanks
Adrian

Letshost

It appears you have been in contact with our support dept and have a received a reply for this question.

Please follow up with them if you need further assistance.

Thanks

adrian5750

It appears you have been in contact with our support dept and have a received a reply for this question.

Please follow up with them if you need further assistance.

Thanks

Yes - thanks - your support folks were very helpful - problem now sorted!

Adrian

lishoishfhs

Do you mind me asking how you solved the problem?

Post removed by user
post removed by user
post removed by user
post removed by user

adrian5750

Do you mind me asking how you solved the problem?

I have just purchased an .ie domain from Letshost and am a bit shocked that I can't seem to easily forward it...

Like you, I have asked their support but no reply as yet...

Hi
Eventually we moved the domains - but I seem to recall that the only way to set forwarding for the domain name was to shell out for hosting with letshost.
It was all a tearing rush - so we (or rather, the client!) paid the money. I think it was possible to buy hosting in 3-month chunks - s we did that and then set about moving the domain.
There was an additional 'gotcha' in that the '.com' domain couldn't be moved until a certain amount of time had elapsed (?30 days)...

Not entirely satisfactory - but it all worked out in the end

Hope this helps
Adrian

bucks

Does anyone know if LetsHost will allow the registration of new name servers for .ie domains which have being registered with them but not hosted?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just an FYI
ICANN rules don't allow the transfer of any com / net / org / info / biz etc., for the 1st 60 days after registration

adrian5750

Thanks for your swift reply.

Just discovered I need to pay an additional EUR4.95 a year to forward from letshost.

I'm actually not sure it's legal for them to do that; I think when you pay to register a domain you may be entitled by law to forward it wherever you wish...

Anyway, I will talk to them tommorow.

If they can explain to me how to forward without additional cost then fine - otherwise it doesn't reflect well on letshost.ie and people should know that registering a domain with them means you can't actually do anything with it, unless you pay more money..

Thanks again.

It was a few months back, and things may have changed - but I know at the time there was no alternative - the registration of the domain name was just that - forwarding was extra...

Not sure if there's anything legal that prevents them from doing this - I suspect it's all down to the 'small print'....

In the end the client had to cough up for the temporary hosting, and then the company we moved the domains to (quite reasonably) wanted 12 months hosting fees for taking the domains over. 'Twould have been much easier if the client had just asked before rushing ahead and registering the domains... but it's easy to be smart after the event!:)
Adrian

adrian5750

Just an FYI
ICANN rules don't allow the transfer of any com / net / org / info / biz etc., for the 1st 60 days after registration

Hi Michele
Yes - it's one of those rules I'd not come across until we tried to move the domains. To make it more frustrating, Letshost insisted that they'd released the domains, but 'something' in the systems was preventing them from transferring - so the transfer just kept failing.

After quite some time, Letshost said 'Oh yes - you can't transfer until 60 days have elapsed' - if they'd said that at the start then a lot of grief and aggravation could have been avoided...

Anyway - all sorted now...
Adrian

Letshost

Thanks for your swift reply.

Just discovered I need to pay an additional EUR4.95 a year to forward from letshost.

I'm actually not sure it's legal for them to do that; I think when you pay to register a domain you may be entitled by law to forward it wherever you wish...

We charge the lowest price in Ireland for IE registration. 19.99 + 4.95 is still cheaper than the nearest competitor (or same price) for IE registration which includes URL forwarding.

For people who have DNS servers - there is no extra fee. Any reputable hosting provider will gladly and easily provide these. We _do not_ stop anyone from pointing their domain anywhere. Again, DNS changes are free and always have been (and always will be)

Anyway, I will talk to them tommorow.

Sending us a support ticket or calling us during business hours will get you an official answer - quicker than using forums (If records show correct you've already emailed and received a reply earlier this evening)

adrian5750 - Apologies our staff didn't spot that. Generally we don't check that for clients moving domains outwards in comparison with transfers inwards.

Regards

Letshost

Does anyone know if LetsHost will allow the registration of new name servers for .ie domains which have being registered with them but not hosted?

If you register your domain through us and want to register DNS servers against it of course we will submit these to the registry on your behalf. This is a basic action which incurs no fee. Please contact our support to action same

Status
Not open for further replies.