Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

What magazines do the users out there read?

I picked up .net while waiting for a flight in London yesterday and it is excellent. Has a lot of varied information
Home - .net magazine

This is the issue i picked up.
Issue156 - .net magazine
The SEO article is quite good. It introduces some basics but also touches on some matters that i have little knowledge on.

I also picked up this one last month
Practical Web Design

Which is very good as well. It had nice articles on Web 2.0 design and Google Maps.

I have bought Computer Arts a few times but I find it quite boring and useless now that i'm focusing on more of a webmaster life rather than a multimedia live.

georgiecasey

.net is alrite, being reading it for years. i used to prefer a competing one called internet magazine but it went out of business. it just seemed to have better information. .net seems to repeat itself alot

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Wasn't there a business 2.0 at one stage that was quite good?

I haven't seen .net in years... then again I haven't exactly been looking

georgiecasey

yeah, rollo, .net is available everywhere. practically was a subscriber for a few years, bought it every month but wasn't delivered, ya know. never read business 2.0, remember when it was launched though. what was it about?

jmcc

Many magazines that claim to be about the web are merely peanut farms. (They pay peanuts with the obvious, logical, results). You would be far better off reading tutorials and mailing lists.

Business 2.0 was a great magazine for the irrational exuberance of the dot.bomb period. But there was also food for thought there unlike most other dot.bomb publications.

Internet Magazine was a British clone of the far superior Amercian magazine. It went dot.bomb because the UK market was flooded with similar low quality journalism publications. There just wasn't enough happening in the UK for such a magazine - everyone wanted to know about what was happening in Silicon Valley and the USA. I think that there was a UK version of Wired magzine around the same time - same fate.

The bottom line is that most "technology" journalists (especially Irish ones) know fsck all about technology. If you want to learn about developments in something as above their level as CSS, webdev, flash, SEO or scripting languages, go to the source. If you want to be good, choose good teachers.

Regards...jmcc

wheres me jumpa

Many magazines that claim to be about the web are merely peanut farms. (They pay peanuts with the obvious, logical, results). You would be far better off reading tutorials and mailing lists.

Business 2.0 was a great magazine for the irrational exuberance of the dot.bomb period. But there was also food for thought there unlike most other dot.bomb publications.

Internet Magazine was a British clone of the far superior Amercian magazine. It went dot.bomb because the UK market was flooded with similar low quality journalism publications. There just wasn't enough happening in the UK for such a magazine - everyone wanted to know about what was happening in Silicon Valley and the USA. I think that there was a UK version of Wired magzine around the same time - same fate.

The bottom line is that most "technology" journalists (especially Irish ones) know fsck all about technology. If you want to learn about developments in something as above their level as CSS, webdev, flash, SEO or scripting languages, go to the source. If you want to be good, choose good teachers.

Regards...jmcc

Totally agree. The one magazine I have been continually impressed with is Digit. More of a design mag but some very interesting articles and tutorials.

What was the last Irish web magazine (I remember at least)? Was it called dot IE?

anthonymcg

Yeah is .IE still going?

I used to buy .net religiously but have gotten out of the habit. I subscribed to Wired there last week. 50 odd euros for 12 issues and the two issues I had bought both had quality articles.

TheMenace

I read .net quite a bit - it's an easy digest and I generally pick it up to help get me through some boring flight or train journey.

I used to read Cre@te Online quite a bit too - before they packed it all in. More to get a 'feel' for the industry than anything else; although it was a pretentious rag.

I buy the odd 'Web Designer' or MSDN mag but they're usually a bit rubbish. The web is the best place to go for web-related entertainment and news!

louie

Yea, but there is something about a physical copy of a mag and call me weird, but the smell adds to it too.

you can also read it in front of the telly.

I used to buy .net, but found it full of crap lately. I stick with my books instead. I like reading them over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.