Webmaster Meetup - Cork Oct.31-Nov.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiralli

I wonder if South's bar (part of the imperial hotel) on South Mall would be good? There are generally seats to be found and quiet-ish areas to chat. It is not too far from the venue either.

I haven't registered yet. I won't be making a presentation on my 1st visit. Can the veterans tell me what else might be useful?

Cormac

I think I'm still ok to head down that weekend. So, are we staying Friday and Saturday?

What hotel is near to the venue? Anyone book anywhere yet? Anyone flying down or fancy carpooling?

The venue is city center so it doesn't matter much where you stay as Cork City is a very walkable place.

There are two Jurys. This one is further away from the venue. This is the one closer to the venue: Cork hotels - Jurys Inn Cork

Clarion Hotel is less than 5 minutes from the venue me thinks. Clarion Hotel Cork - Last Minute Weekend city centre offers and Deals - Room-Only Bargains at Clarion Hotel Cork beside the River Lee. Book Online.

Rochestown Park Hotel and Kingsley Hotels are a bit outside the City. There are two decent Hotels near Cork Airport. Cork International Hotel being a real fancy pants hotel. Cork International Airport Hotel | Hotels in Cork Airport

Do you guys need someone to organise Friday night drinks somewhere?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Staying anywhere around the city would make sense.

Cormac - do either of the Jury's offer proper carparking? I remember the carpark across the road from Webworks was quite expensive.

If I do go down I'd stay up in the city on Friday evening if there are people heading out and then do the sociable / family thing on Saturday evening (unless someone has a better idea ...)

davidbehan

I think you've just elected yourself to organise the drinks for Friday night, Cormac :D

Well, I think I'll check out the prices for a couple of those hotels. Can't see myself being able to drive back after the event so I'll probably stick around on Saturday as well.

paul

Ninja
What time will things kick off on Friday night ? If there was enough interest we could always do food before too (maybe). Otherwise I will be probably book a table at Lennoxs :D (and people are more than welcome to join me)

davidbehan

I suppose I'd try to get down for 8ish. Here's some prices for the hotels:

Jury's Inn - €129 +
Jury's Cork Hotel - €129 +
Clarion - €140 +
Cork Int - €150 +

Dave

Cormac

Cormac - do either of the Jury's offer proper carparking? I remember the carpark across the road from Webworks was quite expensive.

Jurys Cork (Western Rd) has an underground car park. I have a gym membership there and they do 2.5 hours free and then E2 per hour after for parking. That's just be the cost for gym users. I'm sure for hotel guests the cost of the car park facilities are included in the room. I can't see how they could charge you for it!

I'm pretty sure Jurys Inn has a car park too although I have never used it. The Imperial Hotel which is straight across the quays from Jurys Inn has a multi-story car park for patrons of the Hotel.

David Behan said:
I think you've just elected yourself to organise the drinks for Friday night, Cormac
What's involved with the organisation? What was needed to happen for the previous meetup?

Paul said:
Otherwise I will be probably book a table at Lennoxs (and people are more than welcome to join me)

Best chips in Cork. Fact! Bit of a trip to get there though. If only they had a tram service that ran from Panna to Barracks St from 2AM to 4AM on weekends...

Dara

Not going to be able to make this myself this time round. If I am allowed a little self promotion my site Cork Hotels offers a decent selection of hotels. One that seems good value is The Gresham Metrepole right in the City Centre at €79 for the night. Has a leisure centre also. Guessing people don't want twin rooms as singles are as expensive in most cases as twins?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a good idea
My main problem at the moment is that the IIA Net Visionaries are on the night before, so I know that I'll probably be in bits ...

Maybe I should get the train to Dublin for Net Visionaries, then train to Cork?
Though I'll still have the problem of getting back from Cork to Carlow ... and my mother will disown me if I don't drop down to Midleton to say "hi" at least ...

Hmmmm

(sorry about the stream of consciousness!)

davidbehan

I was just chatting to Michele about his dilemma and I think we've a solution. I'll be driving down from Dublin on Friday afternoon and back up on Sunday afternoon via Carlow.

Not 100% confirmed yet but I've space for 2 more to join myself and Michele (and his net visionary awards) so just drop me a mail or give me a call if you want to come along. We'll be killing each other by Sunday! :D

SabrinaDent

Just dropping in to say that I'm really delighted I'll get to meet lots of familiar names in Cork. If you all need any help sorting out hotels, B&Bs, restaurants or late night drink venues, let me know and I can list out some suggestions.

Any interest in a "morning after the night before" Sunday morning brunch since so many of you are coming from out of town?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
on a different note ... I'm not going to make this :(

fan + **** = :(

ah well .. maybe the next time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.