Webmin, Virtualmin, Custom LAMP stack and SubDomains

Status
Not open for further replies.

php.allstar

Hi,

This is one for any Linux geeks with experience of Webmin.

In the day job, apart from our two dedicated servers with Digiweb, we also have a VDS with them and have installed Webmin to manage the server.

We have numerous sites which used to be on various shared hosts, now all consolidated onto our new VDS with virtual hosts setup.

We also have several subdomains which we use for various projects which I would like to serve on the VDS.

I played around with Webmin yesterday and after getting nowhere, Googled for how to add subdomains to Webmin. I couldn't really find anything of use apart from people suggesting to use Virtualmin.

I have installed a custom LAMP stack rather than going with the offering from Webmin.

I am thinking strongly of going down the route of using Virtualmin but I'm afraid that this might force me to use its own LAMP stack and render my custom build useless.

My question is if I install Virtualmin, will it immediately interfere with the LAMP stack I'm running?

Also, on the Virtualmin download page they strongly advise to give the server a fully qualified domain name. Is this an absolute must?

Thanks in advance!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Dumb question possibly, but why don't you just do it all from the command line?

php.allstar

Dumb question possibly...

erm...eh... thanks for the vote of confidence...

because I never let things get the better of me and I love learning how things work, that way I wont have the same problem when I encounter the issue again.

As it turns out, I found the error in my ways.

We use a shared hspehere hosting solution for managing emails across all of our domains (boss doesn't want anything to do with managing mail servers inhouse)

All traffic to the domains in question point to the nameservers where our emails are hosted.

I went down the route of manually adding the virtual host entries into the http.conf file and then added an A record on the mailserver.

I then edited my C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file so I dont have to wait for a DNS update and voila all works now.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.