Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Finished Brisingr last night and wasn't too surprised to discover that he's going to be doing a fourth book... Of course there's no indication as to when it will be published :(

Joomla51

It took me the guts of 2008 to read Ken Folletts 'Pillars of the Earth'.. great book but was so glad to finally get it finished.. Christmas morning what do you think is waiting for me under the tree .. its sequel!!!

.. there goes my 2009!

jmcc

Professional Search Engine Optimisation With PHP (Wrox).
Website Optimisation (O'Reilly).

Interesting books. Some of the PPC management in Website Optimisation is not applicable yet but the Wrox book is very interesting so far. Some of the SEO is blindingly obvious and from what I can see here (approx 199K Irish websites surveyed (probably resulting in about 60K active websites)) simple things like Title/Keywords/Descriptions make a lot of difference but are neglected. I reckon I could make a few good web directories with these books and the data I have here, if I had the time.

Regards...jmcc

link8r

Title/Description/Keyword - what are they saying?

When were the books published?

Did they survey the Irish sites? are they Irish Authors? :?

jmcc

Title/Description/Keyword - what are they saying?
Some of the SEO stuff is obvious but generally neglected from what I can see here. This is my survey of Irish websites. :) It is amazing how many web developers and site owners haven't even included basic elements such as keyword rich titles for pages.

When were the books published?
The Professional Search Engine Optimisation book is dated 2007. The O'Reilly book is 2008 and is far more comprehensive as it covers SEO and SEM and optimising Ajax sites.

Did they survey the Irish sites?
No.

Regards...jmcc

orcharded

I'm reading the Guide to Good Practice in Innovation and Product Development process. I'm looking to include some examples from web development work into future innovation documents

jmcc

"Dreamweaver CS4 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP" by David Powers.
I need to get up to speed on Dreamweaver as I have a few new websites to develop and writing and managing HTML/CSS by hand is not feasible any more. Good book and goes from a relatively low knowledge of Dreamweaver up to some advanced areas. Surprisingly I found it in the local bookshop (all the other books on Dreamweaver they had were CS3).

Regards...jmcc

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
"Dreamweaver CS4 with CSS, Ajax, and PHP" by David Powers.
I need to get up to speed on Dreamweaver as I have a few new websites to develop and writing and managing HTML/CSS by hand is not feasible any more. Good book and goes from a relatively low knowledge of Dreamweaver up to some advanced areas. Surprisingly I found it in the local bookshop (all the other books on Dreamweaver they had were CS3).

Regards...jmcc

Started with dreamweaver like most people many moons ago. Never really loved it that much. How are you finding it for those 3 things these days ?
CSS / Ajax / PHP ? nice integration ?

On the Mac I'm currently using Espresso .. know a lot of people who swear by CSS Edit and Coda (having svn integration) (Espresso being in its infancy I think is trying to be coda .. but I'm ok with that as I quite like it and each upgrade its getting better and better ... kinda like their forums as well and giving feedback on it)

jmcc

Started with dreamweaver like most people many moons ago. Never really loved it that much. How are you finding it for those 3 things these days ?
CSS / Ajax / PHP ? nice integration ?
Still very much a newbie on it. I downloaded the demo last week. After a few hours of playing with it I went and bought it online because of the possibilities. (I also tried Netobjects Fusion and a few other programs like Topstyle and Visual Web Developer.) The CSS and PHP are the ones that I am really interested in at the moment. It takes a while to understand how Dreamweaver handles its own template CSS but with PHP, I'd have hundreds of code fragments that need to be reused either as includes or as code. The biggest change is moving from keeping a model of a website and its related code in my head to keeping it as a more easily maintained site in Dreamweaver. This book seems a lot better than a 'Dummy's Guide' as it gets into the nitty gritty quite early. Ajax is something I am not too interested in at the moment as PHP and MySQL seem to be the simplest solution apart from generating a set of template pages and publishing static pages.

On the Mac I'm currently using Espresso .. know a lot of people who swear by CSS Edit and Coda (having svn integration) (Espresso being in its infancy I think is trying to be coda .. but I'm ok with that as I quite like it and each upgrade its getting better and better ... kinda like their forums as well and giving feedback on it)
I've been using a command line editor on Linux for writing all my CSS and HTML for years. I think that I was looking for something to tie everything together. Even with Linux there are some good programs but what I like about Dreamweaver, so far, is that it is making it easier to keep track of things. So far I haven't done a lot of work in Dreamweaver but it has a steep learning curve.

Regards...jmcc

writie

I just finished the biographies of Tchaikovsky and the Johann Strausses (father and son). The latter is a ripping yarn of wine, women and song by Hans Fantel. The father created the waltz as a touring business and was mightily displeased when the son picked up the violin. It's ripe for a ovie, I'd say.

Michael

Joe Murray

Hello All,

Registered some time ago but I'm still a newbie that whole work life balance thing (or imbalance) has hindered me in taking advantage of the forum.

That's the excuses out of the way.

I've just started Accelerando by Charles Stross.

Dublin Domainer

My son gave me a library (in our spare room) for my birthday last year, and it's almost installed now. It's required what seemed like hundreds of trips to Ikea (up north first, and then in Swords) and it holds 3,000 books, which means I have to start culling soon. But it fulfills a lifetime's ambition, so I can die happy now. Well, I can once I've read all the books.

The best book I read last year was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and this year's is probably going to be Kathryn Stockett's The Help, the story of two black maids and a white writer in the state of Mississippi. Apart from the interesting background, it's just a great story with terrific characters.

Joe Murray

I'm Jealous! Would always have wanted one of those couple of years back the books i sold almost all the books i had as they were sitting in a collection of boxes and bags etc in the spare room which we had (ahemm) agreed to clear out.

Congratulations

Hope you have the pipe and slippers too...

Dublin Domainer

Don't know about the pipe, Joe, but the slippers certainly. :)

I know all about the box thing. I used to keep some of my books in boxes in the attic, but the ones I needed quick access to in filing cabinets in the office, which was handy enough and kept them nice and clean. I'd have hated to have to discard any of them for lack of room.

Reading and writing are my main passions.

Status
Not open for further replies.