Status
Not open for further replies.

Niche

Just finished The Jester by James Patterson which was quite easy to read. Now reading cat and mouse by the same author which is ...slow

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Just finished up Ken Follett's "World Without End" <-- WOW I couldn't put it down ... I read it instead of being online

Also finished up "Dublin" by Edward Rutherfurd ... a so so book I found interesting because of references to Ireland / Dublin but I put it down so many times I think it took me months to read in the end

I'm on Ken Follett's older book now "Pillars of the Earth" ...

And ze missus just bought "Cathedral of the Sea" ... we're really going the whole hog with Cathedral books atm :D

Dublin Domainer

A week or so ago I finished Kathryn Stockett's The Help, another great book that suffered many rejections before its value was recognised by someone. It's one of those books that immediately brings you into a different world from your own, and the characters are its backbone. Terrific!

orcharded

Tribes

I just finished Tribes by Seth Godin. It is a great read for anyone looking to use Web2.0 or social media to build a business or a network

Ed

beanstalk

I finished a book called 'A Long, Long Way' a few weeks ago by Sebastian Barry. Probably one of the best books I've read, and it was on a subject that I previously had little interested and knew little about: life in the trenches during World War I. It's a fictional book but based on fact. One of the few books to bring a tear to my eye I have to admit!

Dublin Domainer

Last night I finished Colm Tóibín's Brooklyn, which had gone around with me everywhere for the past week, and am now bereft. It was such a good novel. I don't know if it's particularly a woman's novel, although it is about a woman, but Tóibín seems able to plumb the depths of the mind of any character, whether male or female, and that's a great skill in a writer. I normally hate men writing about women, as sooner or later a false note creeps in, as if the writer secretly sees men and women as fundamentally different as humans, rather than merely in their outward appearances and nurturing. I've been lucky to have found two excellent novels recently - this one and The Help, by Kathryn Stockett, a story of two black maids in the American South during the sixties and the white woman who sets out to tell the world what their lives and those of their colleagues are like.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished a couple of "work" books:
Crush It
Word of Mouth Marketing

currently reading:
61 Hours (Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher novel)

Forbairt

finished a few ken follett books recently .... a tom clancy ... and now I'm on a judge dread book .. yes .. its quality reading for me all round :D

On the lookout for the next one thats going to have me hooked :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
finished a few ken follett books recently .... a tom clancy ... and now I'm on a judge dread book .. yes .. its quality reading for me all round :D

On the lookout for the next one thats going to have me hooked :)
Are you buying books in Madrid or online from Amazon?

Forbairt

Are you buying books in Madrid or online from Amazon?

Mixture ... TBH ...

I've bought in Fnac ( pretty decent foreign section .. foreign being english :D ) .. Casa del Libro .. again pretty decent section upstairs .. and then there are a few second hand bookshops .. (one has a bar) :) Valérie-Anne tends to buy more books online than I would .. I like picking up a book reading the description and buying it on a whim

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
World Without End - Ken Follett
Cathedral of the Sea - some spanish name I can't spell or remember :D
Net Force - Tom Clancy
Vagabond - Bernard Cornwell
Dublin - Edward Rutherfurd

MOH

Just finished the previous Lee Child one, Gone Tomorrow.
Recently read a string of books by Jeff Abbott, who I'm becoming increasingly convinced is Harlan Coben in disguise.

At the moment I'm reading Arctic Chill, by Arnaldur Indridason

Forbairt

Headed to JJ's bookshop (secondhand with a great little bar) in Madrid today ...

Picked up 4 books .. had a lot more and said no .. I need to pace myself :D

Clive Cussler Treasure of Khan .. ( I do like my dodgy )

Ken Follett - Hornett Flight ... completely addicted to his writing style / stories.. this will be his 4th book I've read

Bernard Cornwell - Enemy of God ... King Arthur / Merlin story line ... finished up vagabond recently and loved it ... might have to get one of the sharpes series as well

Ken Follett - Whiteout ... yet another one from him ... I can barely put down his books when I start reading them

Forbairt

What's wrong with Cussler??

The fact that if I read the back of one of his books ... I'm never too sure if I've already read it ? :D

don't get me too wrong ... they are almost my "mills and boons" :D ... (hadn't realised he wrote Sahara as well which ... hell I enjoyed the movie so :D I'll freely admit it :D )

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Fair point :) There are a few different series, but some of them sound similar to others if you go based on the descriptions ..

Status
Not open for further replies.