What do you use for your blog?

• Wordpress (installed on your own domain)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Wordpress.com (service)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Movable Type

• Blogger

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Typepad

• Other Service

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other Software

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin

Wordpress on my own hosts and it gives me more freedom in what I want from the blog.

frakilk

Yes it does. It is harder to implement the more advanced functionality of other blog software but as long as it has an RSS feed then that's ok with me ;)

frakilk

Yes that would be an added bonus but I actually never considered that before. The main advantage is knowing exactly how the code works so if you want to add any new features in it is a trivial matter. Don't mention the inline documentation though (there is none :rolleyes:)

gothwalk

I use Wordpress, Movable Type and Blogger on different sites. I'm finding WP to be far and away the best of them.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm yet to find a blogging solution that really scales well. Wordpress is nice, but as you add more plugins to it you end up putting a lot of SQL queries through each and every time you load a page etc., which can cause issues

MT is nice as well and has the added advantage of building static HTML files instead of relying solely on the database backend.

Typo looks like it could prove to be useful, though I've no idea what kind of footprint it has

Text Pattern - seems to be very functional

Giblet

I use blogger but what I do is...
I post on my blogspot dashboard and then use the RSS feed for own site and embed the .xml file in the HTML!

There!

John

writie

I use blogger but what I do is...
I post on my blogspot dashboard and then use the RSS feed for own site and embed the .xml file in the HTML!

There!

John
I use Blogger straight for one blog, and use their FTP fuction to post to my server for another. I should perhaps move the Blogger over to my own domain, but I'm not sure what will happen with the archives that are reasonably keyword rich. Would Google think it's a mirror site?

M

enzo

Wordpress

Howya,
Started (on my own domain) with some PHP news script years ago, used Greymatter for a good while then found wordpress which is what I currently use. Greaymatter was nice actually, but very limited.

scoby

I use drupal.org | Community plumbing with a few different Modules | drupal.org

path and pathauto automatically put in SEO friendly urls
blog module
ping module
scheduler allows me to write a number of posts and choose when they are actually published.

I hope to develop some custom modules for drupal for a complex site next year and in the meantime I'm trying to get used to the regular features.

madringo

Using Wordpress on my own hosting and domain, have been working on coding my own for the past 4/5 months - it's just on hold for a while.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to start switching blogs over to Movable Type as soon as v4 is released and they've fixed the Wordpress importer (it's kind of broken at the moment)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't mind me asking, why? What problems are you having with Wordpress?

Where can I start?

It doesn't scale well

It doesn't support multiple blogs / users properly

And the Wordpress developers won't list non-US hosts

dereko

when you say it doesn't scale well, what do you mean. As in it hard to scale the software because of the way its written?

I've never used moveable type but in general i think wordpress is a great peice of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.