What Do You Use For Your Blog?

Discussion in 'Blogs & Blogging' started by mneylon, Aug 19, 2006.

?

What do you use for your blog?

1. Wordpress (installed on your own domain)

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Wordpress.com (service)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Movable Type

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Blogger

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Typepad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other Service

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Other Software

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mneylon

mneylon Administrator Staff Member

If you run a blog, what do you use?

2. Gavin

Gavin New Member

Wordpress on my own hosts and it gives me more freedom in what I want from the blog.

3. frakilk

frakilk New Member

Custom-built. Ultimate control ;)

4. mneylon

Wow!
    I suppose that gives you ultimate freedom

5. frakilk

frakilk New Member

Yes it does. It is harder to implement the more advanced functionality of other blog software but as long as it has an RSS feed then that's ok with me ;)

6. mneylon

It's probably a lot lighter on the server as well....

7. frakilk

frakilk New Member

Yes that would be an added bonus but I actually never considered that before. The main advantage is knowing exactly how the code works so if you want to add any new features in it is a trivial matter. Don't mention the inline documentation though (there is none :rolleyes:)

8. gothwalk

gothwalk New Member

I use Wordpress, Movable Type and Blogger on different sites. I'm finding WP to be far and away the best of them.

9. mneylon

I'm yet to find a blogging solution that really scales well. Wordpress is nice, but as you add more plugins to it you end up putting a lot of SQL queries through each and every time you load a page etc., which can cause issues

MT is nice as well and has the added advantage of building static HTML files instead of relying solely on the database backend.

Typo looks like it could prove to be useful, though I've no idea what kind of footprint it has

Text Pattern - seems to be very functional

10. Giblet

Giblet New Member

I use blogger but what I do is...
    I post on my blogspot dashboard and then use the RSS feed for own site and embed the .xml file in the HTML!

There!

John

11. mneylon

John

Where is your blog?

12. writie

writie New Member

I use Blogger straight for one blog, and use their FTP fuction to post to my server for another. I should perhaps move the Blogger over to my own domain, but I'm not sure what will happen with the archives that are reasonably keyword rich. Would Google think it's a mirror site?

M

13. enzo

enzo New Member

Wordpress

Howya,
    Started (on my own domain) with some PHP news script years ago, used Greymatter for a good while then found wordpress which is what I currently use. Greaymatter was nice actually, but very limited.

14. scoby

scoby New Member

I use drupal.org | Community plumbing with a few different Modules | drupal.org

path and pathauto automatically put in SEO friendly urls
    blog module
    ping module
    scheduler allows me to write a number of posts and choose when they are actually published.

I hope to develop some custom modules for drupal for a complex site next year and in the meantime I'm trying to get used to the regular features.

15. madringo

madringo New Member

Using Wordpress on my own hosting and domain, have been working on coding my own for the past 4/5 months - it's just on hold for a while.

16. TheMenace

TheMenace New Member

Mine was custom built all the way baby. Geez... talk about resurrecting an old thread! :D

17. mneylon

I'm going to start switching blogs over to Movable Type as soon as v4 is released and they've fixed the Wordpress importer (it's kind of broken at the moment)

18. dereko

dereko New Member

If you don't mind me asking, why? What problems are you having with Wordpress?

19. mneylon

Where can I start?

It doesn't scale well

It doesn't support multiple blogs / users properly

And the Wordpress developers won't list non-US hosts

20. dereko

dereko New Member

when you say it doesn't scale well, what do you mean. As in it hard to scale the software because of the way its written?

I've never used moveable type but in general i think wordpress is a great peice of software.