• JSP

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Ruby on Rails

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gala

PHP is a great language for someone developing a final year project or the likes.... its not a bad language and its really easy to learn in a short ammount of time given the ammount of support and pre-written scripts out there. Im currently learning RoR. Its a million miles from PHP but from what ive done so far its just so productive. what takes 100 lines in PHP takes just 10 in RoR.... A really productive language.

rsynnott

PHP is a great language for someone developing a final year project or the likes.... its not a bad language and its really easy to learn in a short ammount of time given the ammount of support and pre-written scripts out there. Im currently learning RoR. Its a million miles from PHP but from what ive done so far its just so productive. what takes 100 lines in PHP takes just 10 in RoR.... A really productive language.

A final year project?! Eep.

And I just can't see it as a good language to learn to program in. Worse than basic.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Kae - I know. Maybe I should have used a different term, but if I hadn't included it ....

seodave

Are we classing HTML and XHTML as a programming language these days guys?

Pretty much 100% php myself, speed and ease of building and maintanence is the real reason.

Redfly

Well, there is a difference between markup and programming. ;)

Anyway, mostly PHP, but am venturing into RoR lately. It's interesting, but the learning curve, IMO, is still steeper than PHP. Maybe I'm just getting old.

jmcc

Web programming or programming? TCL, C, Perl, Java, PHP, some ASP, and I know I had a book on Python around here somewhere. Also tried VBasic but it gave me a headache without the preliminary sense of intoxication. :)

Regards...jmcc

montyauto

Formely I used to apply Perl in my programming.
I move to php as soon as I realize that php is incorporating almost perl feature.

daviddoran

I use PHP for just about anything but now I'm learning C++ when I get time.
Hopefully soon enough I'll be able to create PHP extensions and Apache modules for intensive web-apps that need a burst of speed.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully soon enough I'll be able to create PHP extensions and Apache modules for intensive web-apps that need a burst of speed.

Are you already familiar with the existing modules and addons that speed up / cache php?

daviddoran

Yes, some of them give a huge boost to memory usage and speed.
What I was thinking of is for instance if part of your app had to search for files, or join lots of files together then I could create an extension and have a function join_files( array() ); or something to that effect so the "heavy lifting" would be done by the C/C++ code.

Status
Not open for further replies.