Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My PC hardware is too old

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

Yes I'm going to upgrade...once MS provide me with a free CD :mad:

There is a pretty lengthy decision on one of my blog posts about Microsoft's free Vista CD which was promised to the Croke Park seminar attendees. Some folk have received theirs, I think Richard Hearne might be in that camp, while others (me) haven't heard a thing.

I emailed them to find out what was happening and I got pussy footed about a bit. In the footer of their mails is this beaut..

I hope this information has answered your query but if you have any more questions please give us a call on 0870 60 10 100. Our lines are open Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm. Of course if you prefer, please send me an email.

Eh? What's the number? Do I put a 353 in front of that and drop the 0? Do I give it a 01 and drop the 0 or are they using Vodafone in their offices?

Madness.

Gavin

Eh? What's the number? Do I put a 353 in front of that and drop the 0? Do I give it a 01 and drop the 0 or are they using Vodafone in their offices?

Madness.

Thats a UK national rate number. 0044-870 60 10 100.

A friend who was at the conference just recieved his disc last week, he did a small review if your interested - Windows Vista

Personally, I'll wait a good year before I'll even consider it. Sure I'm still a fan of Win98. :eek:

Cormac

Thats a UK national rate number. 0044-870 60 10 100.

Thanks gavin.

How stupid is that? You email microsoft.ie and they provide you a telephone number but fail to mention that it's UK based and don't bother supplying the area code :mad:

Gavin

I was suprised to see it was a UK number and wonder why they didnt give you the Irish access number: 01 450 2113 - both numbers are for the "welcome team" (front desk) for Microsoft.

Good luck trying to track down the right department. :)

Redfly

As soon as I figure out Open Office, my move is complete. I don't know why I cannot get my head around it!

gary.b

I've got Open Office - it's "different" and takes some time to get used to - but it's a lot leaner than Office (faster loading etc.) - and i really like saving straight to PDF.

Trojan

Already installed, have MSDN sub. Deciding whether to stick with it or not, I'll give it a couple of weeks to see.

Cormac

As soon as I figure out Open Office, my move is complete. I don't know why I cannot get my head around it!

if you use the advanced features of ms office and excel then converting to OO is tough on ol' noggin'. But if you're using it for standard stuff then it's peachy enough.

EdenWeb

Just ordered Vista Ultimate from Komplett and it should be here today. I'll be using it on a new machine thats being built at the weekend (controlled explosions aside) so I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully it won't be a complete disaster. The thoughts of transferring all my applications, communications and work is daunting especially to a new OS.
I think I'd do a gradual port over several weeks....</thinking out loud>

Cormac

What spec machine do you have Peter?

ne question ... why?

Is he not allowed to upgrade? Practically everyone on windows is going to upgrade in the near future anyway (well < 5 years)

daviddoran

Of course he's allowed. (It's a free-ish country)
All I'm wondering is why you'd bother with the software expenditure, drivers, hardware, transfer costs (time,money) for something which is going to (probably) have marginal effect on your workflow.

Then again I look forward to hearing about your experience, everything I've heard up to now pretty much fits into the categories Slating or Marketing.

EdenWeb

Current machine is an old AMD 3GHZ with 1GB RAM, a XFX 6800 and a 12 GB drive. It's rapidly showing its age and I've been upgrading for years. The Mobo has reached the end of it's upgrade path though so I want a PCI-E board etc.

New machine is

Antec P180
Intel Core2 Duo 6600
750 GB Seagate HD
Asus P5W DH Deluxe - V. nice mobo
1GB Crucial Ballistix RAM
Dell 2407 Flat-thingy

It's running an old PCI-E card at the moment until the DX10s come down in price and the drivers are released too.

It should handle Vista fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.