Windows XP, start > all programs does not show all programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliflorence

Hello,
I am not sure how this happens but when going to the start menu and then all programs it is only showing me a couple of programs in stead of all, for instance none of the office programs are there, dreamwaver etc are not there either.
Does any one know any thing about this?

Many thanks
Olivier

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Are they hidden? ie. do you have an option to "show all"?

I never use the default XP settings, as I prefer the "classic" view

onlinebiz

I think, the most possible, you machine are effected by a virus.
So run you anti-virus software to check your machine.

vijay

I think it could be a virus problem or may be it might required a few changes in start menu settings.If there is no reason found to this problem then i think u should repair ur window or reinstall again.

n3tFl0w

Can you post a screenshot of what your getting? What items are still left in the start menu? Normal things? or just MS things? I find it unlikely that a virus would remove some items from your start menu - No point.

byronyasgur

something wrong anyway .afaik there is no setting in xp to turn off the all programs. do you see text "all programs" or is it actually missing .....sounds like your machine either has a virus or just needs a tuneup - it's possible it has just "lost" the information in the menu . download the 30 day trial of tuneup utilities and run the registry cleanup, registry defrag, startup control and finally have a look at the system control section - in there there is a section on the start menu and it may help
BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM FIRST

if you post a screenshot it would be easier to diagnose

edit : stay AWAY from the memory optimizer in tune up is my advice

D

Deleted member 444

I never use the default XP settings, as I prefer the "classic" view
+1
I reject all attempts by Microsoft to fix what ain't broke(n).
I also uncheck "Use Personalized Menus" and "Scroll Programs", which have been found guilty of hiding unused start menu icons... nice idea in theory, but I'd prefer to have a well organised, uncluttered start menu to begin with.

n3tFl0w

Folks, please stop saying its a virus. Its not a virus. There isn't a virus coder in the world that would waste his time removing objects from the start menu. Why is it that people, no matter what is wrong, will say "oh its a virus! a virus!! Run for the hills!" I understand that people want to help but sending him down this road without proper need is almost worse.

Its more than likely just showing the most used applications. please see attached. Even though MS kind of gets it wrong alot because it doesn't always get the most used items. In my screenshot for example I don't really use those applications all that often. So every time I go in, I have to hit the arrows at the bottom to get the full list of items.

Graham

Actually it could be a virus there is one Hijack.StartMenu I've come across in work infecting some of our clients' computers, resulting in items such as installed programs not appearing when they click start. I'm not saying this is the issue here but its possible.

I've found that Malwarebytes is the fastest to scan and remove this item. Download the above and update it before running the scan worth a shot anyway.

Graham

WoodenToys.ie

Have you tried clicking the expand downwards button (two down arrows) at the bottom of the menu? Menu should expand to show all your programs... no?

Coyote1

Start Menu Corruption

The problem could be related to the user profile you are logging on under.

Try adding a new user through control panel and logging on as that user. This generates a new profile based on the windows default. If this fixes the problem you can copy over the shortcuts from your old profile although some apps like email will need to be re set up.

Pat.

mlannon

type GPedit.msc at the run box.
Click User Configuration >> Administrative Templates >> Start Menu and Bar >> Turn off personalised Menus.

imported_Eoin_

Are you sure that All Programs doesn't just show the programs that are on everyone's start menu, rather than every single program installed? i.e. user 1 will have programs in his start menu that might not be in "all programs"

cmba138G

I couldn't say that it is really a virus on your computer system but there must be something wrong with it. can u view all your installed programs in the add/remove programs? on my experience whenever I installed any software on my pc, it really showed on the all programs on the start menu. unless,it is hidden. I've already tried hiding the program on the start menu. Well, it is shown on the local disk of your pc under the program files folder.

mossy

Steps to view all entries in the Start menu

Right-click the Start menu and select:properties> Customize

Uncheck: "Use Personalized menu" and "Scroll Programs"

Click OK>OK

If that still does not display everything that should be there then u might try reinstalling the application or check this thread for other options.

mossy

Also depending on the software, during installation some installers give the option to add to the programs list and create icons etc. Check the options of the installer to ensure its is creating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.