Wordpress theme works fine locally, breaks on live server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciari

Hello!

I'm brand new to this forum, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section or anything like that.

I have been building a wordpress theme locally (wamp) over the last few weeks and when I was satisfied with the results I uploaded it to a live blog to use there. To be clear, I was not attempting to move a wordpress site from server to server I was just installing the theme I had built as a new theme on an existing blog. Despite the fact that all seemed well on the localhost the theme is in a shambles in the live environment. As an example, I have attached two images of the same page on local and live servers. Quite apart from styling issues, the navigation bar is included in page template and sidebar is excluded yet the opposite is appearing on the live site.

I'm completely self-taught and this was my first attempt at a wordpress theme, so it's quite possible I've made some horrendous yet obvious error. Is this a common issue that I should have been aware of and dealt with?

Thanks

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using the same versions of Wordpress in both places?

Are you sure you're not referencing "local" files ie. a hardcoded reference to a location on your hard drive?

Ciari

The versions of Wordpress match and the code is pretty standard 'the loop' stuff without any references to files or images or anything like that (barring the css, but that's been uploaded and the path to it is correct).

Ciari

I appreciate you trying to help, so nothing is a silly question :) . However correct templates for custom pages had been selected and all that sort of thing.

I have resolved it by changing a number of the custom pages (and custom post types) by uploading the same code but under a different template name. I don't understand why that has worked, or what conflict it has resolved but at least it's a fix.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear you fixed it, but it's odd that you had this issue in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.