• Yes, it's useful and overall quite good site

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, go back and start again

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LocalLink.ie

We have create a web site linking the data from the IDS Media Group database of all businesseses in Ireland with the LINK Directories and come up with a new site called LocalLINK.ie Ireland's local business Directories. Local Information Numbers & Knowledge (LINK) of all Irish Businesses.. It is twice the size of others in the sector and hopefully twice as useful. Would be interested in any comments, good or bad.

Regards

Patricia
Link Directories - Listing all businesses, shops and traders in Eire

Briask

don't know about anyone else but none of the local links work :confused:

jmcc

Both sites are down from here. Checked from multiple servers on this network and another.

Regards...jmcc

ghost

A few tips before resubmitting

A few tips before resubmitting
If sections of the site are unfinished let us know before we find out for our selves.
Test your site in different browsers Ie 6 7 Mozilla 1.5 and 2
Run the W3 Validator over your site
[Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.locallink.ie/index.php - W3C Markup Validator
I use site SiteScan to test dynamic sites for bad links and other problems.
ByteShift - SiteScan
Over all the site looks good , clean uncluttered pages and simple to use navigation.
Looking at the source code
Suggest putting all the styles in a style sheet
Correct the few minor issues thrown up by the W3 Validator
Add titles to your links.
Good luck with the site

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The site is completely broken and non-functional.

Of course I'll probably get an email in a couple of weeks demanding that this thread be deleted :)

ghost

slightly broken

The site is completely broken and non-functional.

I gave this site the once over earlier and most of it works fine
Submitted a business listing , ok
Search for Listings , ok
Business Listings and Business Details , ok

She should have mentioned the county listings Links were not working/finished but we wont condemn her for one little sin.

LocalLink.ie

Ok the County links are no longer thrown up a 404
but they are not doing much else either ??

Next week we shall be making these select businesses specific to their county/area, and in future more localalised specific information for that county. Hopefully this will also help with SEO stuff.

Apart from this, what services/features/functionality (which we could maybe make money from), does the group think I should add to the site. Putting up adverts and priority enhancements is a basic funtionality, but what does the real internet experts in the group think should be there be on the site.

I promise free enhanced company records to any useful suggestions.

Patricia

P.S. Anyone not listed please do add your company details.

LindaLu

I like the site. It is clean and well designed. Our company came up in first time and it was easy to update the record. I think you should put some photos on the front page to make it more visual. Also I think popular searches by different sectors would be good.

I liked the web site. It was clean, fresh, simple, fast and does exactly what it says on the tin. The records in from my testing seemed to be accurate and there seems to be a lot of them, definatly far better than what else is out there. I added the wife's business and it seems to work ok. Thumbs up on this site guys. :)

briangoggin4@gmail.com

jmcc

I liked the web site. It was clean, fresh, simple, fast and does exactly what it says on the tin.
And what tin was this?

The records in from my testing seemed to be accurate and there seems to be a lot of them, definatly far better than what else is out there. I added the wife's business and it seems to work ok.
It is basically another Golden Pages effort with a lot of directory address/number/website type data organised on a paper directory basis. This is its weakness. One of the most frustrating things for users of that pile of junk that is the Golden Pages is the fact that people on the internet don't search in the same ordered way that they do with a paper directory. Thus categorised searches by locality tend to frustrate users because of the wide range of ways that people would describe something simple. This simple reason is why search engines have destroyed directories in the evolution of the web.

As for speed. It looks like the backend database has not been optimised. This is a critical aspect for any database backed website. Since it is such a small data set, it should be easy enough to optimise. At least it won't run into computability problems that affect large databases. :)

Regards...jmcc

Status
Not open for further replies.