Announcing www.rcparkflying.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

Well guys what do they say can't keep the entreprenurial spirit down? :)

Anyway I am getting back in to an old hobby of mine (RC planes/helicopters) after a six year break. It's a good time to do it as I'm teaching my 12 year old how to fly. Because I've been happy with the performance of my MR2 forum, I decided to copy the template and just change logos/graphics etc. I know technology has moved on a lot and newer features/expectations however I'm not getting user complaints from my other forum so figured I'd use the existing setup and simplify my life on administration etc. I suppose I could look at upgrading to a newer version of Joomla on a test site, and then when I know it works I could apply the same changes to both sites.

My goals for the site are to:
1. Have fun documenting the progress of my son and I in the hobby
2. Share useful information with other enthusiasts who might be interested
3. Facilitate buy/sell of used parts (this works great on MR2.ie)
4. Generate enough traffic and ensuing advertising to cover hosting costs

There are a lot of radio control forums on the internet already so I have an uphill battle on point 4. However I'm just about breaking even on my other site, so I hope that after a year or so of creating articles/discussions etc hopefully I can have enough traffic to meet that goal. At the end it's a hobby in itself which is quite rewarding so I'm deligted to announce....

Categories - Radio Control Park Flying

Any fliers on here? :D

link8r

Well guys what do they say can't keep the entreprenurial spirit down? :)

Exactly right - no you can't keep it down and fair play to you! +1

Anyway I am getting back in to an old hobby of mine (RC planes/helicopters) after a six year break.

Awesome - I'd love to fly RC kits but I have to admit I am totally useless. Still, I find it very interesting just as a spectator.

It's a good time to do it as I'm teaching my 12 year old how to
fly. Because I've been happy with the performance of my MR2 forum, I decided to copy the template and just change logos/graphics etc. I know technology has moved on a lot and newer features/expectations however I'm not getting user complaints from my other forum so figured I'd use the existing setup and simplify my life on administration etc.

I hope your 12yo enjoys it - lots of quality time together for sure.
You're strategy is completely sound and I'd go the same route. Technology is provider and should never be a dictator. Google have a great maxim: Design it for the user and all else will follow. Apple exemplified it: make your customer happy and all else will be followers.

I suppose I could look at upgrading to a newer version of Joomla on a test site, and then when I know it works I could apply the same changes to both sites.

Will it add value?

My goals for the site are to:
1. Have fun documenting the progress of my son and I in the hobby
2. Share useful information with other enthusiasts who might be interested
3. Facilitate buy/sell of used parts (this works great on MR2.ie)
4. Generate enough traffic and ensuing advertising to cover hosting costs

That's the template to building a community. But I think you should aim higher - use it as a cross-border initiative (not just in Ireland but cross-country) and support a keen community. If its really useful, why wouldn't they contribute to it maybe? go for high end, targeted advertising that fits your community for the win.

There are a lot of radio control forums on the internet already so I have an uphill battle on point 4. However I'm just about breaking even on my other site, so I hope that after a year or so of creating articles/discussions etc hopefully I can have enough traffic to meet that goal. At the end it's a hobby in itself which is quite rewarding so I'm deligted to announce....

There are, and I bet they are being spammed. Identify between people in your community. Young, newcomers tend to over annoy old timers - they post frequently, leave early and basically take up a lot of time. But long termers know everything, can scratch build and probably spend less. So know who your audience is - and keep them happy.

It looks fine. It loaded a little slowly - the background kinda drip fed - maybe by design ?? It's very dark. I'd go blue sky but definitely keep it "blue" and keep it low key. I'm guessing that either way this is an Engineer-type market - so blue, functional, efficient is probably key.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.