Bye Bye Wordpress - Hello MT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I finally made the move and migrated my main blog from Wordpress to MovableType.

It's still using a more or less default set of templates, but I'll be working on customising it over the next few days.

Trojan

Licensing is one of the main reasons I'm not going down that route. Be interested to see your results!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
There aren't any licensing issues .....

They're also releasing an open source version later this year as well

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Download for Personal Use
Since the original release in 2001, Movable Type Personal has been downloaded by millions of users and has set the standard for powerful personal blogging. Download the free version of Movable Type for personal, non-commercial use.

For the free version ...

If you place adverts on your website ... wouldn't this constitute commercial usage ? I like to think this way until someone clears things up for me :D

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
For the free version ...

If you place adverts on your website ... wouldn't this constitute commercial usage ? I like to think this way until someone clears things up for me :D

It wouldn't constitute commercial usage.

Their licensing has always caused confusion for people, but that should not be a reason to not use the software.

Forbairt

Do I qualify for a free Personal license?
If you're an individual with blogs that do not directly support a commercial endeavor, you are eligible for a free Personal license. (Incidental revenue such as Google AdSense, Amazon Associates fees, PayPal tip jars, or other similar programs which aren't the main purpose of the site are permitted under the Personal license.)

from their info ... just had to check it out for myself

TheMenace

I wanted to use MovableType for my freelance site going live next month but that would almost certainly constitute commercial use so I'm stuck with WordPress. Right?

Forbairt

ok that is Excellent :) ... cheers for that .. signed up ...

It was something that has actually been holding me back a bit from using it (that and time)

Status
Not open for further replies.