Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Good post. I like the idea of charging per report instead of paying per month. Keeps it simple and clear.

Redfly

Jill makes some good points there. I personally think that it should be different for each individual project. For example, we charge on a performance basis for some clients and a fixed rate for others. Some just have us on retainer.

What we have found works well is a flat rate fee for a site review with a DETAILED document reporting the potential problems. The customer can use the document to resolve the issues in-house or use us (or someone else) to resolve them for an additional fee.

SEO contract work should be approached carefully as results often tend to take many months. We had a client that was hit by a -950 penalty the month we took their account. It took us two months to resolve the problem. If our contract had have been for 1-3 months, things could ahve got nasty. Thankfully, when it emerged it peaked.

Anyway, my point was simply sit down with your client, understand their needs and go from there. There are many different pricing models and there always will be. Find the common ground.

georgiecasey

Sounds like loads of work, and always slave to the client. Any of the SEOs ever consider just creating their own sites and driving traffic to them?

seodave

Sounds like loads of work, and always slave to the client. Any of the SEOs ever consider just creating their own sites and driving traffic to them?

I'm not sure what you mean on this one. I would think nearly all SEO consultants would have some kind of website to enable them to attract business. If their own site ranks well then the proof is in the pudding I guess.

Dave

glengara

Legend has it that some of the best SEOs only work for themselves :)

Personally I mostly enjoy the preparation and find the ongoing stuff a bit boring...

Trojan

At a rough guess I think that our income divides approximately as:

50% SEO/PPC consultancy/implementation
30% web/print design/development
20% own niche sites income of which about 0.01% is Adsense :)

Trojan

Maybe my customers are wrinklies ;)

Addendum: there is so much I want to change on our site right now, I'm probably going to review it in the next couple of weeks, we have some mockups already done, but they might still be a bit unKewl ;)

Redfly

Legend has it that some of the best SEOs only work for themselves :)

Personally I mostly enjoy the preparation and find the ongoing stuff a bit boring...

I was going to sing your praises on the latest request on the EI mailing list for training but have a feeling you might not be into that sort of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.