Coding on a mac ... how to ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
As the title says ... pretty much ... are there any best practices for coding on a mac ?

In the past on a PC I was used to the editors and their ways of things.
Now I'm just finding things different.

For example I work on multiple projects where would be best to store them ?

In the past I set a folder c:\Projects and worked from within there with all my projects located there. It worked pretty well I set that up as the root for my webserver ... then when moving across to linux based systems it worked pretty well.

I've installed Xampp on this machine (obviously I couldn't exactly install wampserver any more :D ) and it now means my root web folder is located at /Applications/Xampp/htdocs

I guess I'm just really thinking out loud as I really just want to get up and running properly (or as properly as possible) as quickly as possible

I've gone with Komodo editor as my editor of choice for the moment though from the other thread on editors it would appear I should give textmate a once over as well.

Cheers,
James

effect

I'd use MAMP myself, CSSedit is amazing, so get that! and there is also Textmate for a nice coding text editor. Welcome to the world of mac users, ya won't go back!

Cormac

I use Textmate myself too. Very happy with it. It's aimed at RoR developers but works as well as any other editor for PHP, etc.

Be sure to add a shortcut to your htdocs folder within Finder. I have a shortcut just above my documents folder. Saves a lot of clicking to get into apps/xamp/htdocs

If you are looking for a FTP app, look no further than Transmit. Live edits on the server, automated updates, ftp connections in tabs, dashboard widget, ah, it's just nice.

Forbairt

If you are looking for a FTP app, look no further than Transmit. Live edits on the server, automated updates, ftp connections in tabs, dashboard widget, ah, it's just nice.

I'm using filezilla .. its basic enough ... but it does the job :) and cross platform as well :) not to mention free :)

If I start buying all the nice little apps ... I'm going to be spending a fortune in no time :)

I found KeePassX as a replacement for Wallet ... quite cool :) haven't used anything similar in the past ... I'll probably get the textmate 30 day trial and give that a spin ... I've just downloaded cssedit ... and I have to admit it looks pretty cool with the live previews ... normally I just code by hand .. so this might be very handy :)

bkenny

You guys should check out Cyberduck for the FTP upload. I'm not 100% sure if it's free. It should be. It does all that live edits on the server goodness mentioned above. Something that I fell in love with - why have they never introduced this on PC FTP Clients? Or was I not looking hard enough.

As regards text editor. I use to use Smultron all the time, but found myself using TextMate more and more...

Forbairt

cyberduck is free and I use it a good bit for SCP ... still think I prefer filezilla ... (not actually sure if filezilla supports scp hmm)

bkenny

I found FileZilla to crash on major downloads. I recall downloading over 30GB once via File Zilla on my Mac and it crashed.

Then again I don't expect any FTP client to handle that load without some issues. I have never notice CyberDuck to crash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.