Configuring new email with mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticker

Hey all,

Dunno if I'm posting in the right section but here goes!

I've migrated a clients hosting package to new hosting at their request. I've done this any number of times. I setup their existing mailbox accounts with the new host and configured Outlook. No problems so far!

Then comes the awkward bit - there's a mac notebook in the office. I don't have any experience working with OSx.

I managed to get into the mail account and amend the mail settings. I can send mail but cannot receive. Any ideas?

Would the mac's firewall block an amendment to the mail account?

Also, if I deleated the old settings and started from scratch, would the existing mail inbox/outbox (old email) still remain?

Thanks in advance!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Which email client are they using on the Mac?

beanstalk

If you're using Apple Mail (the default mail client on osX) it should be pretty straightforward. What version of osX is on the mac?

sticker

If you're using Apple Mail (the default mail client on osX) it should be pretty straightforward. What version of osX is on the mac?

Correct - He's using the default email. I started working on it Friday at 4:30, but the office closed at 5 so I had to leave it until Monday morning. I don't have the version - It's looks relatively new so I assume it's a late version.

sticker

The latest version will almost configure itself

I have filled in all the correct settings - username/password, incoming server, outgoing server - the account is still not receiving email.

I have been advised to setup a tandem mail account - with the new settings obviously. Sometimes to amend an existing account can be problematic with mac mail I'm told.

Needless to say I want to hold onto the clients exisiting mail records - received mail to date etc... so deleating the origional profile is not an option.

sticker

Is the mail being collected by another computer?

Is it giving you any errors?

As far as I know - No - there is no local sever - all mail is Pop3 webmail. I have configured three windows based Outlook accounts with no difficulty.

My issue here is unfamiliarity with the Mac mail setup.

All that said, I did work it out on the fly and found the settings window.
Web example pic below (not the Mac I'm working on!):

As I said before - mail can be sent no problem, I just couldn't manage to receive.

I had only a little time to properly tinker with the issue as the company was closing for the day.

I had to add an exception to the windows machines 3rd party firewalls to allow Outlook web activity. Is there a firewall on the Mac? Would it allow mail out, but block mail in?!?!

I'd just ideally like to have a few options to work on first thing tomorrow morning. The Mac is the MD's and I would assume I won't have much time to investigate!

sticker

To to close this thread - A simple restart and the mail worked.

Looks like my settings were correct. I wasn't prompted for a restart!

Live and Learn... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.