Cuil Bot Misbehaving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
According to a post on Techcrunch Cuil's bot is causing a lot of issues for webmasters:

Is Cuil Killing Websites?

Has anyone seen any issues?

I'm going to check logs to see if I can spot anything, but I hadn't noticed anything to date

jmcc

According to a post on Techcrunch Cuil's bot is causing a lot of issues for webmasters:

Is Cuil Killing Websites?

Has anyone seen any issues?

I'm going to check logs to see if I can spot anything, but I hadn't noticed anything to date

Well Yahoo is more of a problem here. If I ever catch some of their "engineers" they are going to get a major LART. I've been considering banning Yahoo as a waste of bandwidth.

I took Cuil off the banned list for a while to see how it fares. So far it hasn't overloaded the server. However this reply from one of Cuil's engineers is very worrying:
How CUIL Lost Me as a Customer Long Before They Launched : My Code is Compiling

If someone used that "experimental spider" excuse on me, I'd use my experimental shotgun excuse.

Hard to think that Irish Blogger/Sunday Times columnist Sarah Carey was "strategic advisor" to the CEO. :)

Regards...jmcc

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
The only one I've had to ban recently was some French bot that was doing very odd things on search.ie
The bandwidth usage wasn't the issue - the constant pounding on every single CGI script was !

jmcc

The only one I've had to ban recently was some French bot that was doing very odd things on search.ie
The bandwidth usage wasn't the issue - the constant pounding on every single CGI script was !
Sounds like Voila. Was a good search engine once but it seemed to degenerate into a spamfest. I'm not sure if it was involved in that Quareo farce where the French wanted to build a European (Franco-German) search engine to beat Google. Naturally, it failed. But not quite on the level of Cuil. :)

Regards...jmcc

Banana Man

It seems Cuil have a lot to be concerned about. The search results it is producing at the moment are horrendous, so much for being a Google filler :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.