Status
Not open for further replies.

daviddoran

I just put up a new design for my website with new content.
For way too long I just had a holding page with a link to my blog but I want to get more of my work and photography etc. online.

Anyway, take a look if you will. I mainly designed it quickly and simply to put emphasis on the content.

David Doran Media

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
What's the box at the top right meant to be?

daviddoran

It's a search box. I should probably label it somehow, in the design I wanted it to remain as simple as possible.
It probably doesn't help that the search doesn't work at the moment.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Don't ever presume that people will know :)

You need to make things obvious unless you are so well known that people are queuing up to buy your services

daviddoran

Yes, that;s definitely true and I'll have to label it somewhere.

At least the search is operational now, not much to search though,

fieldcorbett

Its a fine personal site - might look a little nicer if there was more content on the homepage, it just seems a bit compact to me.

Nice and fast response too.

des

daviddoran

Thanks, I do need to beef up the front and generally increase the amount of content.
I've integrated wordpress into the main site now which I like alot more than my old orphaned blog.

Also, out of interest does anyone have any suggestions for articles on the site, such as Apache/PHP or HTML/CSS related articles aimed at webmasters / web developers.

enzo

A little too plain and too blue for my own personal tastes. Content could probably do with a rewrite e.g. on a variety of projects and jobs

The blog page, I think, needs more space between the navigation and the content.

IMO.

TheMenace

I'd be inclined to jazz up the design a little bit - it's very bland. Although, being a developer myself and not a designer, I know this can be tough. Do what I usually do - get a designer to do the design and concentrate on the code :D

daviddoran

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am not a designer at all, and I think it at least lucks respectable. Not so long ago everything would have clashed, my aim this time was simply to design something that could deliver content.

Getting a designer on board would be great, there's nothing like the great consistent work a good designer can create, and then to get your developer hands on it!

@menace: Did you get a designer to do your homepage? The top graphic is really great.

@enzo: Do you think I should do more detailed write-ups of projects and jobs?

writie

Yes, it is a bit, um, bare.

Personal peeve: I hate sites that start with the word "welcome". It's a sure sign that nothing else of interest is on that page. And true enough, your blog seems to show someone with an opinion that I wouldn't know about if I just accepted your welcome. Maybe you should scrap the welcome and use the blog as the homepage. This is basically what I suggested to a client of mine, Serge Pegoff at opposites-meet.com

M

Status
Not open for further replies.