Does ClickThrough help rankings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPAlarms

Let's say I had a web site at fruit.com and the main keyword I want to optimize is "apple". If I have a page on my site that gets a lot of clicks from searches for the keyword "orange", will the fact that my site is getting lot's of clicks help the overall ranking of the site?

blackcat

Google rarely overlooks anything, and if click through rate is a ranking factor, I mean why shouldn't it be, I am absolutely sure that Google has a complex algorithm for this and is not only comparing position in result pages with clicks.
I am not a SEO expert or guru, but this is how I see things: if your site gets a lot of clicks for "orange", it means that the page is well optimized and people find the content of this page relevant and useful when searching for "orange". In this case your site's ranking will probably increase in serps for "orange". I don't see how it will or could be affected the ranking for "apple" too. Well, come to think about it, as I said before, I tend to believe that Google has an algorithm for this, and in some form it might be taken in consideration the rankings of all the pages have for different keywords.
I might be wrong though, so don't rely solely on my comment...

link8r

Let's say I had a web site at fruit.com and the main keyword I want to optimize is "apple". If I have a page on my site that gets a lot of clicks from searches for the keyword "orange", will the fact that my site is getting lot's of clicks help the overall ranking of the site?

Yes and no. CTR rate is critical - thats why the big huge CTR report in webmaster tools with all the data.

Getting clicks for Apples will help your ranking for Apples. And for Apple. Possibly Apple Cider. But it depends on the relationship and strength of that relationship to other words.

Status
Not open for further replies.