Does skype work for you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbee

Does anyone here use the skype voip telephony system on a regular basis ?

I'm making lots of local calls at the moment, being able to use skype instead of the landline would save me $$$$.

Unfortunately though, the call quality from skype pretty much sucks. I'd rate the quality as worse than a bad mobile phone call. I've switched to windows and I've disabled the QoS packet scheduler. I've also tried my system at the local shopping center. The quality still sucks.

I keep hearing about people who get rid of their landline completely and just run their whole office over skype. That sounds like a very good idea.

Would that work for anyone ?
What's your voip skype quality like ?
What kind of setup are you on ?

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
most Landline packages will give you free unlimited local and national calls try looking around that market first i would recomend

enzo

I use Skype a lot, generally only calling abroad and the sound quality is usually very good.
Except on my dualphone ... sometimes the quality isn't great but I think that's down to the phone itself.
I wouldn't get rid of the landline completely ... unless you had a mobile ... just for emergencies etc.
I'm on Smart Broadband, so also have the landline at no extra cost.

dbee

most Landline packages will give you free unlimited local and national calls try looking around that market first i would recomend

Really ?

That sounds great. How do they make any money if their calls are free though ? Would it have to be some kind of tie-in arrangement ?

CiaranR

Weeno Ltd + Skimlinks.com
I have been on both digiweb and currently with magnet for my home office and they offer it, it voip based I think but quality is perfect, the price is included with you BB subscription. I'm sure €ircom and BT do some sort of talktime package too where you get same for €x per month including line rental etc. Also be careful most have fair usage policy where it is up to 60mins free, so at 59mins you hang up and call again

edit: Only left digiweb because I moved not due any lack of service on their part.

EdenWeb

On the BT Talk PLUS option and it's a great saver
http://home.btireland.ie/echannel/B...Override=/pageflows/homepage/showTalkPlusPage

All your local & national (for up to an hour each call, anywhere in Ireland - 32 counties) & UK landline calls for just €39 per month including line rental, no matter how often you call. **

I use SKYPE (skypeout) extensively with the Dualphone. The only time I've had trouble was with UK mobiles. Sometimes the reception can be bad. If I'm talking to someone for the first time, I'll generally use the landline just in case.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
Using skype a good bit ... but mainly for the chat feature.

A number of my clients are using it plus its integrated into various software that they are using.

I went with blueface.ie and got myself a voip account which is working ok ok but I believe my problems lie with the NTL broadband network as opposed to my setup or blueface.

paul

Ninja
I use internetcalls.com €11.50 every 3 months for free international landline calls and if you want to use your phone i.e. they call you and then call the contact, it costs 5 cents and has much better quality IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.