Status
Not open for further replies.

sticker

There are loads of tutorials for ASP email and data type validation - you could teach yourself how to set up a form in ASP in no time flat!

I've updated my form software (which contains a new export facility to ASP)

So I'm sorted - I'm getting an error message from Eircom servers though - so I'll see what they say.

Error messages as follows when I hit submit:

Method Not Allowed
The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /myform.asp.
Apache/1.3.28 Server at www.webaddresshere.ie Port 80

Is this error in Eircom's ballpark? The form has been setup correctly!

Thanks

niall

Looks like you're trying to run an ASP page on a linux server - won't work.

Just to be a pedant: :)

Apache with ASP.Net on Linux: Mod mono - Mono
Apache with ASP.Net on Windows: SourceForge.net: mod_aspdotnet

But yes, you're right, considering Eircom can't do PHP, the likelihood of them of having either of the above modules installed is extremely low.

I haven't used Eircom hosting in years, but I seem to recall that the only form of scripting allowed (at least on the homepage.eircom.net/~user accounts) was CGI based.

Niall.

hosting365

No need to be pedantic, I was offering chillisoft asp on linux long long before blacknight was a twinkle in Michele's eye ;)

niall

No need to be pedantic, I was offering chillisoft asp on linux long long before blacknight was a twinkle in Michele's eye ;)

I have a fully running Cobalt Raq 4 on the desk next to me with Chili!soft ASP support and PHP if you want to head back into the shared hosting biz!! OS fully up to date and all :)

sticker

Looks like you're trying to run an ASP page on a linux server - won't work.

I talked to Eircom, and they have suggested moving the site from its current server to a "Windows 2000" one as they said themselves... I'll see if there's any improvement after that...

sticker

Just to be a pedant: :)

Apache with ASP.Net on Linux: Mod mono - Mono
Apache with ASP.Net on Windows: SourceForge.net: mod_aspdotnet

But yes, you're right, considering Eircom can't do PHP, the likelihood of them of having either of the above modules installed is extremely low.

I haven't used Eircom hosting in years, but I seem to recall that the only form of scripting allowed (at least on the homepage.eircom.net/~user accounts) was CGI based.

Niall.

Thanks Niall - I'll wait and see happens after the change of server

conor

I talked to Eircom, and they have suggested moving the site from its current server to a "Windows 2000" one as they said themselves... I'll see if there's any improvement after that...

Correct me if I'm wrong but wont this change pose the same danger of Eircom screwing up DNS and MX records as a change to a different provider such as Blacknight? They still have to go through all the same processes as they would have to go through if you changed providers completley don't they?

Byron

Correct me if I'm wrong but wont this change pose the same danger of Eircom screwing up DNS and MX records as a change to a different provider such as Blacknight? They still have to go through all the same processes as they would have to go through if you changed providers completley don't they?

Probably, the only difference is when I changed a clients site from Eircom to another company, they said they would have a three week waiting list to do so! :eek:

Also I can barely trust Eircom with my broadband, always up and down, in the centre of Dublin, I don't think anyone should really trust them with their hosting. the client I had, was allowed to setup FTP access (some conveluted FTP at that) of username "domain@domain.com" and password as "domain" (obviously substituting domain for their details.

They are a little behind the possey, I dont think they try to push it at all anymore as a service, certainly upto a year ago they were charging €400 for .com + hosting for a year

niall

One of the interesting things I've seen happen when you go for taking your mail from Eircom without telling them is that suddenly anyone with an eircom.net address can't reach you. The reason for this is that the domain you're moving away is still setup on their mail system, so the mail will go to the account on the Eircom mail server rather than checking the MX record to see where it's supposed to go.

I haven't heard of this happening in a while, but it's an interesting edge case :)

Niall.

conor

I don't really like Eircom. They have a complete monopoly over all rural phone lines, and the worst thing is that it's our own fault that they own those lines. IMO the government should have kept ownership of the lines when they sold Eircom - or even better they should have kept it a state owned company! I lost a few hundred in shares when they were bought by Vodafone!

That's why even though I'm all for keeping business local I have BT broadband - which is €10 cheaper per month than Eircom!

jmcc

They are a little behind the possey, I dont think they try to push it at all anymore as a service, certainly upto a year ago they were charging €400 for .com + hosting for a year
Eircom and Esat had a lock on the Irish hosting market about six years ago. Both of them failed to maintain their positions. Esat has been wiped out in the retail hosting market but Eircom is trying to claw its way back. I think that the lack of a strategy and a good user interface where people could buy hosting/domains online left them completely vulnerable to the rise of the second generation hosting service providers like Hosting365/Blacknight/Novara.

Regards...jmcc

mickelodian

Not a Surprise Eircom support

So Eircom don't do Php... why does this not come as a great revelation. In 2002 I was shocked to find a friend of mine who had booked some space with eircom (At an outrageous price too!) and that server was running NO parsing languages application at all... no asp, no php, no perl, no nothing....

Again it seems a dose of the old 'erm...are we a private company now?' mentality that still has eircom with the ball and chain of the semi state way of doing things.

Eventaully, they will wise up, or go out of business.... either way is a result if you ask me!

Byron

I totally agree with you Mick.

To be honest eircom are a sitting duck at the moment, just waiting to be scooped out of the water by mobile broadband providers in limited access areas.

oliflorence

Got my first site hosted with eircom, best thing I have done was to move away.

This may have changed but at the time phone tech support was at a cost of £2 per minute, email support was terribly slow if you were lucky enough to get an answer, supplement was charged to get server stats, limited number of email accounts, no MySQL support and if i remember well at around £400 per annum in 2000!!!

Best of all, the server went down on a friday morning, back after a couple of hours or so but not my site, apparently the DNS had to be reset, rang several times to be told it would be done shortly, tech support went home at 4 as it was a bank holiday week end and my site was left down until the tuesday, dropped by Google as a result until the next visit 2 weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.