gary.b

If you have an email with any irish college / uni , - have a look at this:

Digiwebs exclusive hosting offer to students ! Free Website + Hosting package

The Good:

-The Price is right :D
-2 Gigs webspace
-15 Gigs transfer
-PHP, MySQL, the usual.. - don't know how many SQL DBs you get. Most likely 1
-.com /.net /.org domain free for 1 year (i think you can change nameservers though).

The Bad:

-Only lasts a year, but should be enough time to establish a good site if you have the time.
-You can only host 1 domain. blah.
-No commercial stuff. (don't know about ads?)
-Probably crappy overloaded servers
-They can cancel everything with 3 months notice...
-All your terms are belong to Digiweb

Still waiting for my application... :D

Cormac

It's a good idea and great offer but the timing is fairly odd if they're trying to catch students who are developing web projects as part of their courses. Schools out..practically!

jennyrusks

free webspace

That's looks quite interesting, thanks. I teach graphic and web design (not at third level - kind of somewhere around post-second level, although one or two are bordering on playschool level) so I might contact Digiweb and see if the class would be elegible as they don't have college emails. Would be very handy for them to make their first portfolio sites.

thanks again,

Jennifer

ziycon

eurgh. php.

do many people learn this in college? I had assumed they might teach stuff like c, c++, vb, pascal, asp, and java - and that asp or jsp might be the preferred web-dev languages (given that you don't learn as much from php as you might do using the alternatives)..

aren't there loads of free servers out there? I remember myjavaserver.com used to do free java/sql accounts (not sure anymore), no doubt there are php and asp equivalents?

Im justing finsihing college and they teached us, C++, C#, asp.NET 2.0, JSP, vb and java! Learned php on my own, helped that i had done java for 2 years!

Redfly

Yea, we learned C, C++ and Java in college. No PHP, but in fairness, once the basic principles of programming are down, PHP is not hard to pick up.

gary.b

lol B& ?

Anywho..
Digiweb's hosting package - the control panel is "ok" it's no cPanel, but does the job. Still need to mess about with features and whatnot, and abuse my 2 gig disk quota... >:)

Status
Not open for further replies.