Global footer like adobe.com & apple.co

Status
Not open for further replies.

garymcginty

We are trying to create a global footer on every page of a 100 page website

We want to update the global footer once a month and it a automatically updates on each of the pages

similar to adobe.com & apple.com where they have a global footer

What is the best way to do this, HTML, CSS, Java script?

pHp include / dynamic – but we are not sure how the search engines view this

thanks in advance

Goodshape

If you're using PHP, then a PHP include gets my vote. Search engines will handle this just fine as PHP is server side scripting.. so by the time the search engine views the page the include has already been made.

1) create a page - footer.php
2) put your footer content in there, and nothing else.
3) remove any existing footer information from other pages on your site and replace with :
Code:
<?php include 'footer.php'; ?>
And you're laughing. Only need to update footer.php in future to make site-wide changes.

This method also works well for headers and menus and basically anything else you want to be uniform throughout the entire site.

ziycon

I agree with GoodShape, on mysites i have a function for the header and footer of the site so they are called on every page, so when i make a change it effects all pages!
Re-use of code is the only way to code!

byronyasgur

includes are the way .... and while you are at it you can do a header , statistics section, navigation section, anything you want. I built a whole site this way before C.M.S became popular and i had an includes file that i included in every page of the site. in that includes file, all the includes were defined like

define("FOOTER", "footer.inc.php");
define("HEADER", "header.inc.php");
define("WHATEVER", "section-of-code.inc.php");

so anytime i wanted a section on the page I could just write

include FOOTER;
include HEADER;
include WHATEVER;

meant i could make a change to one of the .inc.php pages and have it duplicate accross the site, and of course you could stick in a section of code, or move it etc quite easily by just moving 2 words and a semicolon

Status
Not open for further replies.