Google ranking oddness

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMenace

About a week ago, one of my sites was ranking between 2nd and 3rd for searches for the keyword 'property'. I noticed yesterday that it had dropped down to 11th and now it appears to be off the chart entirely. I have absolutely no idea why. Are there any dirty tricks that I should be looking out for as it's fairly unprecendented?

EDIT: If it's any help, I'm noticing some strange referrers such as 10.254.0.23:15871, 158.134.66.74:15871, 10.160.2.153:15871, etc.

Gavin

I've been poking around looking at this but cant see anything that jumps out, from your side of things anyway.

It could be a fluctuation on Google that you would probably just have to sit out, unfortunately. A lot of people are complaining about massive fluctuations/drops from 4th June onwards. You can read more here.

Are you seeing any other keywords drop?

Those addresses you see are internal networks although the 158.XXX address belongs to a US company. By any chance are you seeing cgi-bin/afterWorkOptions.cgi on those referrals? Its a safe browsing filter.

glengara

I'd first check your main link suppliers as one of them may have been hit, IBN would appear a likely target, check with the other sponsors....

glengara

Site has been sitting steadily at 10th for allinanchor property so all being well it should be there or thereabouts in a normal search, it's at 49 so excluding a G-litch something is wrong either with the site itself or with the links to it.

IPN was the site I meant, sponsored links and no "condoms"......

glengara

Looks like Kenstanley.com has similarly dropped, unless the sites have had a recent hosting problem my money would be on your network's linkage pattern being the probable cause .....

TheMenace

Looks like Kenstanley.com has similarly dropped, unless the sites have had a recent hosting problem my money would be on your network's linkage pattern being the probable cause .....

It did alright. A lot of my sites are linked together if that's what you mean. Hardly link farming. At any rate, I'm actually getting more visits per day and more or less the same number of referrals for certain keywords then I was before I dropped. Which is odd.

TheMenace

Is this 'pages from Ireland' searches Ken?

Are your other sites being affected?

No, just an unrestricted search. My own company site has been affected as well. As I said above, it's not really made a huge difference to traffic but it just seems a little odd.

glengara

It doesn't need to be a link farm for a linkage pattern to fall into "disrepute", if the falls persist it may warrant a closer look.

glengara

Noticed HFP had climbed back to 11th place before dropping again, it'll be interesting to see if that pattern repeats itself....

You do any tweaking to the site, Ken?

Drang3d

I've been seeing the same for one of my sites euromortgage.ie . One minute is up at No. 2 for "mortgages", mostly at night and in the morning and then it drops to No. 14 during the day. It's been happening for 3 weeks now.

lostie

Yeah ive noticed this too, i dont work for them anymore, but micromail.com has taken a 70% drop in traffic from google since last friday the 25th when the google-death-bot decided to pay a visit. Heres hoping its just a fluctuation.

TheMenace

Noticed HFP had climbed back to 11th place before dropping again, it'll be interesting to see if that pattern repeats itself....

You do any tweaking to the site, Ken?

None whatsoever. Haven't touched it in probably a year. To be honest, it's making little if any difference to traffic so I suppose that's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.