Google SERPS - head scratching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerhau

I wonder if anyone within the forum can help me with a bit of a head scratcher which is probably quite a basic issue. My query relates to Google SERPS and how they seem to differ when using different browsers. I am carrying out some SEO work with an Irish photographer and we are targetting the keyword 'wedding photographer'.

Now I am fully aware of the issues of localisation and personalisation and when testing the keyword within google.ie, I use the unpersonalised settings. So what is my query? I have put the background issues in points.

Issues

a. When searching within google.ie on Internet Explorer (keyword: wedding photographer), my client appears at position 8.
b. When carrying out the same keyword search in Firefox, Chrome and Safari (all set to unpersonalised and google.ie) the SERPS change very slightly but my client is no longer listed. He is not even listed on pages 2,3,4 etc, etc.
c. On the left hand side of the google.ie page, I note that by default the results are from 'The Web' and there is an option underneath for 'Pages from Ireland'. When I press the 'Pages from Ireland' option within Firefox, Chrome and Safari, the SERPS again slightly change and my client re-appears at position 8!
d. My client's domain is a '.com' and is hosted in the U.S.
e. The Geo-location for the domain is set to Ireland within Google Webtools.

Questions

1. What is exactly happening when I select the 'Pages from Ireland' option?
2. Why is my client appearing within the SERPS for the keyword when searched for in google.ie within Internet Explorer but not for Firefox, Chrome and Safari?

I realise that to a certain degree there are no such thing as standard Google results anymore but I am confused on what is going on. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks and regards - Ger Haughey:kiwi-fruit:

achieve

I think that in IE, that you have history / preferences turned on with Google, and Google is showing you want you "want" to see based on your browsing history. You will need to turn these preferences off to get true results.

gerhau

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my thread 'achieve', I appreciate it.

This issue is not about history/preferences - I do know this much. I am a Mac user and very rarely do I use IE. In fact I have to swap to a portable P.C. operating windows to check on IE and there is no browsing history in the system.

To shed more light on this issue, I use Market Samurai at the early stage of my keyword research and this software collects information from the top 10 google ranking sites for a specific keyword - this is territory based and of course I set it for Ireland. My client's website appears within the top ten all the time within Market Samurai!

If you have the time, run this little check:-

1. In Firefox or Chrome, search for the keyword 'wedding photographer' within Google.ie

Now we all know that such a search will put an Irish slant on the SERPS (based on a number of factors). At this stage, my client's website does not appear anywhere (never mind on page 1).

2. Now, from the left hand navigation options within the google results page, click on 'Pages from Ireland'. The default is set on 'The Web'. On doing this the rankings change very slightly and my client now appears at position 8.

3. To finish off the test - now do the same search (wedding photography) within IE and you will be returned with the same results as 2 but this time you did not need to select the 'Pages from Ireland' option.

What I am trying to establish, is - what is this filter (Pages from Ireland) actually doing and if the search is made on google.ie - should n't the results be 'pages from ireland' in any case.

I hope that I have explained this in a clear manner.

Once again, main thanks for your help in this matter.

Ger

link8r

@achieve

I think you are assuming all of the ways that Google tries to identify unique/new/ return users.

@ger

You might want to try running that test using different IP proxies - that might resolve your issue.

Also, you can link the new Analytics to your webmaster tools. That will show you the absolute relative position of the site across a set time period.

My guess is that Google is using a combination of patterns to recognise repetitive searching - for example similar IP ranges, similar searches, exact browser ID, sites clicked = all add up to make a "biometric" print of sorts. I'm not saying google do this but even the pace at which you type and the style (e.g. hitting 3 letters in succession, followed by a gap, followed by 3 keystrokes) are all things that can be used.

It's very hard to pinpoint - Google hiding your site due to repetitive similar searches isn't something you read about a lot of on the web. Diagnosis/proof is up there with Roswell. :)

gerhau

Thanks very much

@ achieve

I will have a look at your analytics suggestion. Cannot quite get my head around the 'biometric print' but I bow to your superior knowledge in this area.

Thanks - once again.

Ger.

link8r

Was that for me or @Achieve ? ;)

Check Analytics and Webmaster tools. Also, try a proxy site that lets you search google from a different IP.

gerhau

Quick update @link8r

My client's website does appear within the front page of Google when using the browser Firefox via a Proxy server search. Clever boy:joyous:

link8r

Scooby Snacks!

Feel free to use the "Thanks" Button - I heard that Michele is giving out prizes to people with the biggest score each month :D

Status
Not open for further replies.