How do you handle comments?

Comments

• completely disabled

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • limited to registered users

• held for moderation

• posted immediately (incl. spam filters)

• N/A

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 444

Just reading the no-follow thread, and got thinking...
I allow anyone to post comments, but they're held in a queue for moderation... I prefer this for general peace of mind, since I know my blog isn't unwittingly publishing anything spammy/indecent/illegal while I'm not around.
But thinking about this a bit more, I half wonder whether doing this is actually worse from a legal standpoint... since if a comment turns out to be slanderous (etc.), then I've actively approved it, rather than it being something I happened to miss.
I don't know whether this would be any kind of defence to begin with, so maybe this is all mute.

Anyway, how do you handle comments and why?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I moderate comments on all blogs.

Regular commenters can post theirs immediately, but new comments or ones that hit spam filters will be held.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose I should expand on this a bit ....

On the company blog I have to be very careful, as anything that gets on there is going to be linked to the company - be that intentional or otherwise. While this should not stop people from making critical comments of our services I can't allow them to make comments that would cause us legal issues etc.,

Profanity is a big no no - editing comments to remove it is acceptable as far as I'm concerned

No matter what you may write about you can still end up offending someone. I've had some "interesting" phone calls from people about blog posts and forum threads in the past, so it's never a bad thing to err a little on the side of caution when you are first starting out.

D

Deleted member 444

Yeah, my blog is mostly vague, random, lighthearted fluff... not really geared towards rattling any specific cages.
Not that anyone reads it to begin with!
I suppose what I'm wondering is - are people as paranoid as I am? :)
Or am I being sensible and everyone else is mad?

jennyrusks

I hold them in the queue and moderate my comments too. It means people are sometime posting comments twice because I haven't moderated them yet and it looks like the lost the first comment but I try to keep things on an even keel.

all the best

Jennifer

EdenWeb

Using askimet and it catched 100% of spam. Some legit comments have been flagged as spam but I usually notice them when I log in to post a comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.