How to get back in google's good books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyboy808

I was ranking number 2 in google for a fairly competitive term (css layouts) a few months back and was beating some veteran sites that are up a good few years. being the complete noob that I am with seo I thought I was the big cheese and knew what I was doing to achieve such a high ranking.

It turns out I was keyword stuffing. I had the term css layouts littered through the site and thought I was doing good, wrong! google has found out and penalized me. I think I am ranking in the 900s now.

My question is how do I fix this problem. I am working on all the keywords as of now but will google forgive me :)

Redfly

Why have you nofollowed your "Reading Material" ? And those links in your footer? What have they to do with CSS layouts?

You have a LOAD of dupe content as a result of the demo text in your templates.

More content, more regular, more links, varied but relevant anchor text. Editorial if possible.

Also, you may have been subject to the google honeymoon period. Fix whatever you thought you did wrong. Then submit a reconsideration request. But if your not banned and just got a penalty, good luck.

babyboy808

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reply.

Why have you nofollowed your "Reading Material" ? And those links in your footer? What have they to do with CSS layouts?
I nofollowed as per matt cutts recommendations for external links and to keep PR.

What have they to do with CSS
The links at the very bottom? - They are just some text link ads I sold

You have a LOAD of dupe content as a result of the demo text in your templates.
- How do you mean exactly? the lorem Ipsum?

Redfly

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reply.

I nofollowed as per matt cutts recommendations for external links and to keep PR.

The links at the very bottom? - They are just some text link ads I sold

- How do you mean exactly? the lorem Ipsum?

Where exactly did Mr. Cutts say that? You are officially endorsing the links and recommending them. If anything you should be nofollowing the TLA ads. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a penalty for selling links. TLA themselves have suffered a terrible penalty from Google.

If you were offered to do a paid review on a site that was banned in Google would you?

And to keep PR? If I hear that one more time I am going to scream. You don't give your PR away when linking to someone else. Your domain has it's PR and that's that. You can internally link to spread YOUR PR to the relevant pages on your site.

And yea, the Lorem Ipsum text. Is it robots.txt excluded? I didn't check.

RedCardinal

My question is how do I fix this problem. I am working on all the keywords as of now but will google forgive me :)
Clean it all up, sign in to webmaster console. On the right hand side you'll find a link for re-inclusion request. fill that in, express huge remorse (I'm not joking here), explain exactly what the penalty was and what you've done to remove the offending content, and beg for forgiveness.

You might get some benefit also posting over on the webmaster group, acting a bit coy, explain that you got a penalty, cleaned it up and 'now what should I do?'. Someone there will say file reinclusion request, but if you're extremely lucky one of the webspam team might notice you grovelling over there and expedite your request for forgiveness.

I'm really not kidding - reinclusion is via human intervention, so dont be afraid to beg.

If all else fails insert the GOOGLEPRAY META into your homepage :)

RedCardinal

It's actually a very big joke that went around for a while. It was a META tag called 'googlepray' that if inserted would bring you Googly good fortune. I'm sure a few people fell for it.

Everything else is 100% serious though.

Status
Not open for further replies.