Status
Not open for further replies.

link8r

Yeah, just to clarify/point out, I'm not saying that a 6-monther or even a 2-weeker can't beat a 6 year old domain, it can, do it all the time - just saying if I had to pick between a 6 year old and new(-ish), I'd pick the older one, it has an advantage.

kflanagan28

I think there was a good point made earlier in this post about the older domains having historical links pointing to them and that is the reason for the increase in trust rank. Makes sense to me. Although the site I described initially in this post had no real link equity built up.

It's rank was pretty mind boggling !!!

red-sky

I was reading this thread and felt compelled to register and share my views and experience on this.

Domain age has little to do with Googles algorithm, many believe it plays a big part, some experts believe it plays a very small part, but I believe it's a myth. Why? I have taken some brand new websites up against longtime competitors and have beat them much easier than I thought, the reason people think domain age is such a big factor is because websites that rank #1 are usually years/decades old, the only reason they are there is merely because of the lower competition of the internet years ago; leading to people believing *this* website is the only source for good *that*, I will link to it! They were websites that, in their day, where good sources of useful content. Yes they could still have there decade old links pointing to them, but they only last as long as the linkers hosting plan does ......they do slowly disappear.

With more people becoming webmasters and sharing their knowledge more than ever before on the net, there is a larger competition of the content war. At the end of the day people need to remind themselves that Google is a money-making machine, and they make this money by producing the best possible matches to our queries, so that we continue to use them.

Google doesn't need a trust rank, their algorithms sort out the trusted sites from the rest, Google is interested in only ONE thing and thats CONTENT! Think about it, Google is making their money through us providing helpful information to their search engine users, the more we help them, the more they reward us (increase our ranks) ....well we like to believe Google is trying to reward us, but they're more interested in getting the useful content more aware to their users.

To bring back awareness to the original topic, this is why I strongly believe domain age has nothing to do with the algorithm, when people start to look at Google as a $$$-machine rather than an almighty organic traffic GOD that decides who is the chosen ones, the more they begin to understand the steps needed to rank #1.

Oh and before I forget, Hi im new to the forum, looking forward to reading some SEO skills and tips here :)

link8r

I was reading this thread and felt compelled to register and share my views and experience on this.

Thank you - its great to see some fresh ideas and new users.

Domain age has little to do with Googles algorithm, many believe it plays a big part, some experts believe it plays a very small part, but I believe it's a myth.

I dont agree at all. Age does play a role. How much of a role is open to debate. Existing sites already have a crawl rate, inbound links, are indexed .

Why? I have taken some brand new websites up against longtime competitors and have beat them much easier than I thought

I think what has been said here is that age is important - not impossible. Yes, we've all had to attain higher ranks than older sites. Given a preference, it's easier to rank existing sites. Older sites that have not been optimised and do not have inbound links can be beaten easily. Older sites that are very highly optimised are very difficult to beat. It's easier to beat an newer site with an older site by continuouls improving the SEO/Content.

the reason people think domain age is such a big factor is because websites that rank #1 are usually years/decades old, the only reason they are there is merely because of the lower competition of the internet years ago; leading to people believing *this* website is the only source for good *that*, I will link to it!

No, I've given other reasons.

Google doesn't need a trust rank, their algorithms sort out the trusted sites from the rest, Google is interested in only ONE thing and thats CONTENT! Think about it, Google is making their money through us providing helpful information to their search engine users, the more we help them, the more they reward us (increase our ranks) ....well we like to believe Google is trying to reward us, but they're more interested in getting the useful content more aware to their users.

This is the problem ... Google can't rank content - thats why it needs to use other factors to determine what site has better content. It doesn't mean age isn't important.

What I've said - and I think others agreed with while others disagreed with it - is that age plays a role. Optimising an existing site is easier than a new site - and that is fact. If you want to prove it, go and get a newer domain to compete with this one :p ... Seriously, it has an advantage - how much of an advantage is a different question - after 6-months/10 months its certainly able to compete - but what if the older domain hast the same SEO effort.

I've been lucky to have 120 projects (some with 16 domains) to work on over the last few years, so I have a rich test bed.

jmcc

Just realised that I've a few Irish county/town name domains that are over ten years old. Not sure if they are worth turning into websites.

Regards...jmcc

Juice

Just realised that I've a few Irish county/town name domains that are over ten years old. Not sure if they are worth turning into websites.

Regards...jmcc

Want to give us the list? Maybe someone will take one or 2 off your hands?

sampatrick

Age is a very important factor in Search Engine Optimization. There are several different types of age that can play roles in how Search Engines rank websites. Knowing these factors can be helpful in determining how long it will take for a website to rank well. Keep in mind age is only part of the algorithm, as other factors such as link popularity and keyword rich content will play a major role as well in rankings.

I do not think anyone knows for sure. Some suggest that an older domain has time to build "trust" and Google may factor that into the rankings; however, an older domain has been around longer and has time to accumulate more links to them from other sites and they rank well becasue of the links and not the actual age.

:)

MPC

Nice c&p work :rolleyes:

The Top 4 Age Factors for Search Engine Ranking | SEO Image Blog: Stardate

Age is a very important factor in Search Engine Optimization. There are several different types of age that can play roles in how Search Engines rank websites. Knowing these factors can be helpful in determining how long it will take for a website to rank well. Keep in mind age is only part of the algorithm, as other factors such as link popularity and keyword rich content will play a major role as well in rankings.

I do not think anyone knows for sure. Some suggest that an older domain has time to build "trust" and Google may factor that into the rankings; however, an older domain has been around longer and has time to accumulate more links to them from other sites and they rank well becasue of the links and not the actual age.

:)

John peterr

Hi,
yes sometimes google gives lots of weightage to the older domains, and also it considers whether there is any SEO is done regarding the website.if not it will kick you out from page 0ne to nowhere.

link8r

Hi,
yes sometimes google gives lots of weightage to the older domains, and also it considers whether there is any SEO is done regarding the website.if not it will kick you out from page 0ne to nowhere.

How does Google "consider" if there is any SEO done?

If there is no "SEO done" why would it kick you from page one to nowhere?

How do you get to page one without the SEO that is kicking you to nowhere?

What are you basing this "insight" on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.