index.html/homepage more important than subpages for SEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borderfox

I've been slowly rebuilding my site from scratch. I have most of the textual content that was on the index.html page to a sub page. I had assumed that for the most part, where it was ranking reasonably for certain keyphrases, the subpage would probably pick up the same ranking.

Now someone is telling me that the index.html page holds more value in terms of SEO than any subpage. Is this true?

Gavin

I've been slowly rebuilding my site from scratch. I have most of the textual content that was on the index.html page to a sub page. I had assumed that for the most part, where it was ranking reasonably for certain keyphrases, the subpage would probably pick up the same ranking.

Now someone is telling me that the index.html page holds more value in terms of SEO than any subpage. Is this true?

The root of the domain will have more weight as its likely more internal & external links will point towards it.

If anything I prefer not to remove content from a page, most of all when it ranks. What I would have attempted is to create more content for the sub-pages and link back from the root (index.html).

borderfox

I wish I had known that was the case. I put some imagery on the index page - with a view to expanding the content on sub pages.

Energy Rating Ireland
(theres a couple of dead links in there that will be taken out shortly).

Its not really going to suit to put that flash image elsewhere on the site.

Gavin

I like the flash but to be honest it was slow to load the page.

You should really place come text on that page not only to sell to the visitor but also to help search engines establish more relevancy for the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.