Status
Not open for further replies.

gary.b

On a side note: Does anyone actually use directories to find stuff?? I know i don't.

I'm just curious - i was thinking of starting up a directory-like site of my own.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It depends what you are looking for.

Some of the industry specific directories are a really good source of information.

For example, if I was looking for software to manage domains I'd have a lot of problems getting relevant results from a search engine, whereas a directory of hosting software would give me really targetted results

And I'm probably not alone in this :)

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I own Web Directory Ireland - I set it up ages ago - in fact the css is a bit wonky [I did it in a hurry one lunchtime just to get something up for the next google PR update] and it has little to no content ..

Seems to be #7 on google.com for "web directory ireland" now, so I guess I should fix it up and start squeezing the cash out of it. roll on the PR update so I know how valuable each page is...[yes PR is good for *something*]
You can´t submit links to it and it´s full of 404s

3rigena

indeed. I moved it, and just wgetted the 1st 2 levels.

I was waiting until it was pageranked and serp'd b4 i do anything with it. looks like i might be waiting a long time for the former. cmon google - rank me up.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Do Directories count as back links?

If they're seo friendly they should count

Some of the Irish Directories are chaging for submission, is it worth it?:confused:

Who is?

I know quite a few offer you the option to pay a bit more etc., but who is actually charging? (admittedly I've been tempted to make submissions to one of my directories paid only to cut down on the amount of junk being submitted!)

3rigena

Do Directories count as back links?

Some of the Irish Directories are chaging for submission, is it worth it?:confused:

1. yes if they are direct (no redirect or nofollow applied)

2. depends on many factors. Buying a link or deeplink on a pagerank 5 page with less than 20 outbound links, and which also has the keyword you wish to target in the page body and title can be worth its weight in gold.

edit: I can probably give you a link on Web Directory Ireland for a mere reciprocal link if that's of any use to you....

Status
Not open for further replies.