Status
Not open for further replies.

3rsales

I managed to get listed 3rd on the first page for the search term "sales marketing" out of 347 million entries on google!

That is all very well if people are actually searching for sales and marketing assistance!

I would be interested in your vews as to whether or not you believe that is a good search term.

Peter

TheMenace

Sounds pretty good to me. I see you're using Analytics? How are the conversions from that search term working out?

tomed

Hi Peter,

Well done on work to date!

My first point would be that you are appearing in 3rd position for this phrase in google.ie and not google.com. So although its a great achievement, you are getting special treatment becase the site is in Ireland.

A bit of research on wordtracker shows that the phrase "sales marketing" is only searched for 19 times a month, however on overture, it's averaging around 8,000, so take what you can from that.

Personally, a general rule of thumb for me is to focus on phrases that relate to the services you provide, rather than generic phrases. This is for a number of reasons, mainly the fact that it's better for conversion as the traffic is likely to be people searching for excactly what you specified.

So if you think potential clients are likely to look for "sales marketing" when looking for your services, then you have done an excellent job!

Tom

daviddoran

Well done, on a (very) side note I think Tom you're intro picture (2bsc) with the guy on the grass looks like his laptop has a hard on. lol.

Gavin

Great work Peter, #3 is always a good position for a given keyword.

Did you perform much SEO? I see you have been publishing articles that are appearing on other sites.

the guy on the grass looks like his laptop has a hard on. lol.

Must be well popular with the girls. I actually think it looks like the Dublin spire.

RedCardinal

Peter

Are you logged into Google when you're searching?

I don't see you at #3.

Ignore that, I see Tom said it's on Google.ie.

It's a nice rank, but my guess is tat the # of pages misrepresents the competitiveness of the query. If you look at #4, #5 and #9 they are all inner pages.

allintitle:sales+marketing gives 870k results
allinurl:sales+marketing 780k
allinanchor:"sales+marketing" 7.4m (you're #4)
allinanchor:"sales+marketing" -jobs 1.3m (you're #2)

What's your traffic like on that term?

@Tom - Wordtracker gives daily result figures. Was it 18 per day, or less than 1 search per day? [OT] I spoke with the wordtracker team for quite a while in London and they *may* be launching an Irish index.

I'm looking at another tool and I'm seeing an estimated 1.8k per month volume on the term. Keyword Discovery reports 64k in the last 12 months ~ 5k per month.

So assuming there are 1k per month globally and you rank #3 on .ie only I would imagine that might translate to less than 50 searches on Google.ie. Here's the geographic breakdown of the searches one tool gives me:
United States 67.82%
Canada 5.43%
Unknown 4.27%
Great Britain (UK)3.27%
India 2.48%
Spain 1.88%
Singapore 1.45%
Other 13.4%
Placed at the #3 would give you maybe #20% of the click throughs. My guess is you see very little referral volume on that keyphrase. Sorry.

But I would be very happy for you if it turns out that I'm wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.