ISP Cache problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickmac

Hi
I recently moved my irish domain (thebuzz.ie) from one host to another (both US based). I updated my nameservers with the irish domain registry which was successful and everything seemed fine. Within 24 hours I was being successfully routed to my new host and ip address (cannot remember if i checked this on my home pc or through wireless when travelling). Later, without any changes I noticed I was being routed again to my old host. When I issue an nslookup on my own machine I get

C:\>nslookup thebuzz.ie
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.2.1: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.2.1

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: thebuzz.ie
Address: 64.20.57.194

This is the IP address of the old host. Tech support for my new host provider assured me the problem is not on their end and, as pretty definitive proof, directed me to

dnswatch.info/dns/dnslookup?la=en&host=thebuzz.ie&type=A&Submit=Resolve

where I can see that the domain name is properly resolving to the new IP address. I also tried accessing the site through a US based proxy service and it does indeed direct me to the new site.

So....... for some bizarre reason i think my ISP (SMART) is directing me to the wrong address. Is this possible? Anyone have any idea what might be happening???

Thanks a lot for any help
Mick

babyboy808

Good question, this happens me from time to time, haven't looked for a solution at all, so I'll be watching this thread closely.

mickmac

Nope - I see that it is the same with eircom so this is not anything specific to smart isp. I am lost for options I must say........

mickmac

Finally seems to have been corrected. I guess there was DNS cache somewhere that was out of date. I had a look at the irish domain registry and they do a periodic sweep which may have resulted in the problem being corrected. So, I guess the lesson of this story ... have a little patience :)

Quoted from domain registry site:

The Registry regularly undertakes a process of identifying and correcting delegation errors in the IE zone.
Because of the distributed nature of DNS, errors are common as responsibilty for management of different portions of the DNS lies with different parties. This affects the overall performance of the system by impacting speed and reliability of resolution.
Initially the Registry will focus on lame delegations. A number of the larger Internet Service Providers we delegate to have already been contacted and have taken appropriate action.
Initially we identify all problem delegations. We will attempt to make contact with those responsible for the technical management of the delegation with a list of the problems detected. In the case of lame delegations, two courses of action are available:

1. [*]Correct the lame delegation and retain the registration of the domain.
    [*]If the delegation is intentionally lame, request the removal of the entry from the IE zone thus cancelling the registration.

mickmac

Aaaagh!

Looks like I was premature. Yesterday I was accessing the domain through eircom, firefox seems to have cached the old ip address (i had been using my laptop at home with smart ISP the previous evening). This gave me the impression that the same prob existed with eircom. I cleared the cache and flushed dns with ipconfig /dnsflush. I did an nslookup and saw that the domain was resolving correctly and checked the browser and saw that resolving correctly and thought all was right with the world and god was not so bad after all.
I went home yesterday evening and found that the resolving problem still existed with smart. I was pretty peeved but at least now I knew defintiviely that this is a smart dns issue. I contacted the irish domain registry webmaster for advice and he said it looked like there was indeed a problem with smart dns cache and pointed me to a thread on smart tech support forum showing someone else with the same problem. Smart guys rectified the error for this guy. I have just followed up on that thread asking them to fix mine.

In short:

SMART DNS Cache is having problems which can result in customers of smart broadband not seeing the most uptodate version of your .ie site when you move it. Hopefully they will resolve this issue asap and not put some more people through this same wild goose chase I have been on for the past few days.... :mad: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.