Status
Not open for further replies.

nevf

Performance seems to be the main issue with Magento alright, it's putting me off it altogether to be honest, i haven't a clue how to tweak servers and all that stuff.
Same. I could if I really wanted to, but i'm not bothered now.

are you on shared hosting ? if so then you won't be able to do much.
shared hosting will rape any high spec software. But Mageno appears really susceptible to it's issues.

To be honest really, Magento sounds like way too much hassle, and it's going to cost me too much to set up in the end, I'm tempted now just to go back to ZenCart, not as nice, but at least it works.

alias

There was actually a good post on whether or not you should use Magento for your project that I wanted to post previously but couldn't find it... anyway found it now, and since I still can't post urls (as I'm a new user of IWF) I've copied and pasted the contents of this "Should I use Magento" post below. Hope it helps you decide.

Source: magento-blog.net/should-i-use-magento

----- START ----

Sat, 05/31/2008 - 23:14 — me
Whether you should use Magento or not depends on your programming skills. I wish that I could tell everyone to use it right now, it is really superior in a lot of ways. But, it is just not that simple. So, should you use Magento?

I will try to walk you through my thoughts on the issue.

Are you a store owner (not a developer/programmer) who does not want to make any customisations (except changing the header and other minor graphics) to the stock package?

Yes, you should use it.

Are you a store owner (not a developer/programmer) who needs to make functional customisations or major graphic changes to the stock package?
No, you should not. There is not enough qualified free support in the forum to help you make major functional changes to the stock code. And don't think you can take advantage of Varien's advertised custom programming services. Many people are having problems getting responses from Varien when submitting quote requests. Varien's support for Magento right now is ridiculously horrible. That said, if you can afford to hire a developer when you get stuck and you are not on a deadline than I feel fine recommending that you give Magento the good old college try.

Are you a developer/programmer who kinda knows PHP, does not know what EAV database architecture means and has limited knowledge of the Zend Framework?
Are you on a strict deadline and does your client want for you to make major functional changes?
If you answered yes to both, then my advice to you is to chose another cart. There is too much in Magento for you to learn and not enough support. If you answered no to one of the questions, then think about using Magento very carefully. I still am not sure I would recommend it.
Are you on a flexible deadline and does your client want for you to make major functional changes?
This one is still tough. Unless you are very very confident in your PHP skills AND you are somewhat familiar with Zend AND you are not on a quick deadline then MAYBE. But figure out how much time you think it will take you and then increase that by a third. Base your quote on that time frame. The support in the forums is mediocre at best, you will be figuring a lot of things out on your own.

Are you a developer/programmer PHP expert with a working knowledge of the Zend framework and EAV database architecture with a client who wants major functional changes to the stock system.
Yes, but be aware - again - that there is very little free support available for the really tough questions. In fact, in many cases, I have found that there is no free support available for the hard questions. And hiring someone to do it for you is painfully difficult. We are all in the same boat. Quote accordingly.

cr1272

Hmmm, I was all gung-ho about switching my shop over from CRELoaded 6.2, to Magento, but now I'm not so sure. :mad: We have a dedicated server, so speed probably won't be a major factor, but being a part-time shop owner, it might just take too long...

Will have to think about this. :D

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
They are meant to be releasing another version pre christmas ... so I'll look forward to that.

I know that blacknight made a post about it running on their shared servers as well a while back. I've not had a chance to play as I'm on the older package still.

shaneod

Yea now runs on Blacknight and runs well, even on their basic shared hosting package, going to be putting it through it's paces next week with the test products, so I'll get back to you but the empty store runs faster then the trial i setup on dreamhost and also faster then one of the so called magento partners that i asked for a demo from as well. Good ol'Blacknight!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Have the Magento developer done anything to address its resource usage for the upcoming release?

Forbairt

Yea now runs on Blacknight and runs well, even on their basic shared hosting package, going to be putting it through it's paces next week with the test products, so I'll get back to you but the empty store runs faster then the trial i setup on dreamhost and also faster then one of the so called magento partners that i asked for a demo from as well. Good ol'Blacknight!

If you get it setup with the test store mind sending me on a PM with a link to it ? :)

I've seen the empty store on their systems and while its fast its not doing a hell of a lot I assume so I'd love to see a real world store (test store)

Forbairt

Have the Magento developer done anything to address its resource usage for the upcoming release?

The March release dropped I think about 100 queries out of a basic page load. The next release from what I was reading promised more performance increases. Its a great system ... if only it ran faster. Its set for pre christmas but I've not been following it too closely the last few weeks.

StudioForty9

Magento Extension for Realex - released

Hi Guys,

For those of you who've subscribed to this thread. The announcement of the release of the Magento Extension for Realex Payments is here:

/e-commerce/7572-realex-payments-module-for-magento-released.html#post40056

Sorry about the cut and paste link... it seems I can't post URLs even to this site yet.

Ger

Status
Not open for further replies.