Status
Not open for further replies.

link8r

Skype isn't worth the 4billion it was sold for in the first place! Ah well, Skype had to go somewhere to live out its final days.... :)

Microsoft have a confusing array of software - MSN Instant Messenger / Live Messenger, Office Communicator, Office communicator Pro and Office Video Conference. So are they going to plug them into Skype?

Satanta

So will they leave it alone or break it or simply kill it off?
I'm still on the fence in deciding if I think they'll break it or kill it off. I'd assume break it, basically kill it, then let it slowly die a natural death until we speak of skype in the same way we do now of myspace or bebo.

From my experience working there for over a decade Id say they will likely morph it into something else, like wrap it up with another existing (or in development) sw.
Either way, its been taken up well in Ireland over the years. Very interesting piece on 2fm today with tons of folks calling in who use the service daily to keep in touch with loved ones whove had to up sticks. So hopefully its either left alone or made better.

Satanta

Very interesting piece on 2fm today with tons of folks calling in who use the service daily to keep in touch with loved ones whove had to up sticks. So hopefully its either left alone or made better.
This is the huge advantage that Skype have at the moment, or did have. For the masses, I'm not sure too many realise that there are various alternatives out there that provide a similar service. I've hooked a lot of family members up with various VoIP services (many with simple access numbers, so no messing around with software or complicated SIP setups) and all are amazed that it can be done. It's an area that could definitely do with some media attention to highlight and showcase what's available out there.

My only real issue with it is the amount of CPU it hogs! Most of the time I exit the app from running as between it and its other component (Skype.exe and skypepm.exe) they just eat juice. MS could work at making it less resource hungry for a start.

link8r

My only real issue with it is the amount of CPU it hogs! Most of the time I exit the app from running as between it and its other component (Skype.exe and skypepm.exe) they just eat juice. MS could work at making it less resource hungry for a start.

Yeah, cos Microsoft are known for that! IE will happily use a GB and 90% while opening a blank robots.txt :p

Skype is worse on network usage - it needs a lot of broadband that others dont seem to need

Byron

I would love to see Microsoft actually just make one communication tool with all the features of others and make it available for free on the same pricing model as Skype currently is, they would be able to blow all other voice, video, conferencing, remote access and email solutions out of the water... until presumably Google will do one better

Status
Not open for further replies.