Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan11

Hi folks,

I'd be interested to get peoples feedback on this...
mobileplans.ie

I'm more familiar with the back end stuff rather than design so any suggestions in this area would be great. Any other content that people might find useful would like to see?

Cheers,
Jon

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea and it's good to see someone trying to do something like this
However I think it could do with a good strong logo

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
You're using a nice enough template and completely destroying it with a crappy logo :(

jonathan11

Ok, cheers for the feedback guys.
A new logo it is so ! :D
I'm using photoshop to create the logo at the moment,
can anyone suggest any other (easier to use) tools?
Thanks

Forbairt

Ok, cheers for the feedback guys.
A new logo it is so ! :D
I'm using photoshop to create the logo at the moment,
can anyone suggest any other (easier to use) tools?
Thanks

Depend on the ultimate goal and quality of the logo you're after ...

Fireworks can be quite nice at least a lot of people think so for general website design ...

Illustrator would be more complicated in some ways than photoshop ...

So to create a custom logo photoshop / illustrator would be in my opinion the best tools

If you're just after something generic there are probably loads of online things you can use to create a generic bland logo

robototitico

its a good idea, and a useful one. However wont you have to watch the networks prices every week and constantly update your site? How many people will search for mobile price plans? I just wonder if your site has a limited user base.

To counteract this you could incorporate other stuff into your site, like a blog, or mobile phone reviews? That would increase the amount of people who would have a reason to use the site, and make it more worthwhile for yourself.

Maybe Im wrong however

newmaster

robototitico makes a fair point (and I would listen to it), especially as your demographic is purely limited to Ireland, the amount of people looking for this will be limited:

mobile phone plans - 260 searches in March
mobile plan - 320 searches in March
mobile plans - 590 searches in March
mobile service - 2,400 searches in March (bit better)
mobile deals - 1,300 searches in March (same as above)

Given that you will never get all of the visits from the searches above, you'll really need to work hard on getting return visitors and only a blog with reviews (like robototitico said) will give this to you.

From a design perspective, I would lose the black navigation banner and replace it with a lighter colour, also the text is a bit shoddy, lose the TNR and go for something like calibri or the same font type that this forum uses - move away from black and white, go a bit more web 2.0 as surfers much prefer this now they are used to using the web.

Best of luck with the changes :)

jonathan11

Agreed, it is a pretty limited market, especially on the generic search terms like compare mobile plans.
But I reckon there is a couple of million mobile subscribers in Ireland and mobile costs would be quite a big expense for people so reckon it would be a good service for people looking to compare.

I'm currently doing a news section on the right of the homepage, I've made a start at a blog too:
Compare Blog , some tidying and some blogging to be done yet though.

I'm going to stay away from phone/handset reviews since it seems to be well covered in the Irish market already.
Going to try and concentrate on the stuff related to tariffs and plans.

Will have a look at toning down the black and improving the fonts.
Might even look into getting some bots to keep me up to date with plan info :)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Both Vodafone and O2 are on Tradedoubler, so there might be some way to get plan data via some kind of data feed? (No idea if they're actually offering that at the moment, but it probably wouldn't hurt to ask)

Forbairt

a LOT better :)

Personally I'd ditch the tag cloud like that ... its not really doing anything for the site ... search engines can't pick up the links with great ease ... so unless you think people will be impressed by the gimic nature of it ? I'd drop it

They'll be going to your site for one thing ... find out the best plans for them (at the moment unless you change the scope)

The logo is a huge improvement BUT ... still not doing anything for me but its fine for now

Already using the site now ... MUAHHA :D

Status
Not open for further replies.