Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfly

Hi guys,
We just completed phase one of the Velvet Nightclub website.

I know there is still a lot to do, but we are now in our review phase and was wondering if anyone wanted to throw in some feedback?

Looking for feedback on usability, accessibility (I know, I know, Flash was part of the spec).

Thanks

RedCardinal

Nice site :)

One thing that strikes me is that the main navigation links (purple on black) are a little hard to read. Considering that many users wont be net-savvy I think that the nav needs to be more distinguishable from the footer text. Not a criticism, but you askekd for some feedback :)

Did you notice the comments I made on my blog about RFS?

Redfly

Thanks for the reply Richard.
Yea, the Nav was a bit of an issue, however we are in the process of adding screenreader tags and alternate stylesheets. We were also provided a copywriter for this project so....

I'll look into some alternatives and run it by them.

But any other feedback would be appreciated.

Regarding your comments, yea, I got them. Thank you so much. I have been run off my feet the past week. I just got back to Germany (Again) after a week of meetings back in Ireland so I have not had much time to do any personal replies. I apologize.

I wanted to have a chat with you about SES. (Waiting for Part 2!). I am so jealous you met who you did!

Tom

Just had a quick look but it looks brill, I think flash works well with club sites, bands etc. I notice that when I open it in firefox it kills my changing tabs response time. Probably the high cpu demand from the flash. All you need now are some pictures of some hot chicks on it :D

MickyWall

Makes me thirsty, I could do with a pint now!
Is this club open when I come down to Search Marketing World?

Redfly

Makes me thirsty, I could do with a pint now!
Is this club open when I come down to Search Marketing World?

Yes, it officially opens tonight. It's absolutely stunning inside. So yes, it will be open when you come down for SMW, but it's not in the city center so you'd be going out of your way to go to Velvet!

Redfly

Just had a quick look but it looks brill, I think flash works well with club sites, bands etc. I notice that when I open it in firefox it kills my changing tabs response time. Probably the high cpu demand from the flash. All you need now are some pictures of some hot chicks on it :D

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have an issue with the switch times. The club owners and project managers use Firefox too (I know, a rare pleasure!) and they don't have any issues. What version are you using? What plugins have you installed? What OS are you using?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

davidbehan

It's a nice site. It represents the club well I must say. Their target market seems to be a bit upper market than other spots in swords. Why they let me in, I'll never know!! :D Tara has told me a few times not to be the last to leave the V bar but it seems to be 4/5am when I finally make the journey home. :D

I really like the site though. The nav links look fine to me. They seem more pink than purple. Did you change them?

Here's something interesting...

In Firefox, I have skype toolbar installed that changes numbers to clickable numbers on web pages. It throws out the mailing list at the bottom. Nothing you can really do about it I don't think. Also, it aligns nicely in the centre (horizontal and vertical) in FF but not in IE7 (i.e. it doesn't do the centre vertically).

http://www.davidbehan.com/stuff/velvet-ff.jpg
http://www.davidbehan.com/stuff/velvet-ie7.jpg

Good job though. :D

Redfly

It's a nice site. It represents the club well I must say. Their target market seems to be a bit upper market than other spots in swords. Why they let me in, I'll never know!! :D Tara has told me a few times not to be the last to leave the V bar but it seems to be 4/5am when I finally make the journey home. :D

I really like the site though. The nav links look fine to me. They seem more pink than purple. Did you change them?

Here's something interesting...

In Firefox, I have skype toolbar installed that changes numbers to clickable numbers on web pages. It throws out the mailing list at the bottom. Nothing you can really do about it I don't think. Also, it aligns nicely in the centre (horizontal and vertical) in FF but not in IE7 (i.e. it doesn't do the centre vertically).

http://www.davidbehan.com/stuff/velvet-ff.jpg
http://www.davidbehan.com/stuff/velvet-ie7.jpg

Good job though. :D

Cheers Dave! I'll get on that straight away. IE7 will be the death of me!

I didn't know you knew Tara. And what's someone like you doing in the Vbar ;) I have ot say, I have never worked with someone as professional as Tara and RORO consulting. They have been an absolute pleasure to work with.

I was hoping to meet up with you and Peter (Edenweb) when I was home last week but I just had too much on my plate to organize something. I'll be back for a month on the 6th of March so maybe we could organize something then?

MickyWall

Yes, it officially opens tonight. It's absolutely stunning inside. So yes, it will be open when you come down for SMW, but it's not in the city center so you'd be going out of your way to go to Velvet!
Happy days, I'll just have to tell the wife the conference is 2 days and stay overnight. :D
But on a serious note, the look of the site does the club justice.

davidbehan

I actually don't know Tara. Only met her in the Vbar a couple of times through a friend of mine that knows her. I think I might of given her a biz card last time I was there. Sorry about that. Next time i'm in, I tell her the site is fantastic and that "those guys over in RedFly really do a great job". :D She really does seem professional though. I can't imagine her taking any "****" from anyone to tell ya the truth.

I be in Velvet on the hunt for my future wife but usually end up sneaking up the vbar for a few sneaky drinks... I must leave my credit card at home next time.... I spend more up there between 3 and 5am than I do between 8 and 3am.

I'd like to see a meet up between a few of us alright. Have a good old chat over a few pints. I'm away in NY for paddys weekend but other than that I can be around during march. Drop your thoughts for a meet up on the thread below cause we really should do it. Richard... you up for it as well?

http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/general-chat/1326-iwf-meetup-knees-up.html

Rgds,

Dave

Redfly

I actually don't know Tara. Only met her in the Vbar a couple of times through a friend of mine that knows her. I think I might of given her a biz card last time I was there. Sorry about that. Next time i'm in, I tell her the site is fantastic and that "those guys over in RedFly really do a great job". :D She really does seem professional though. I can't imagine her taking any "****" from anyone to tell ya the truth.

I be in Velvet on the hunt for my future wife but usually end up sneaking up the vbar for a few sneaky drinks... I must leave my credit card at home next time.... I spend more up there between 3 and 5am than I do between 8 and 3am.

I'd like to see a meet up between a few of us alright. Have a good old chat over a few pints. I'm away in NY for paddys weekend but other than that I can be around during march. Drop your thoughts for a meet up on the thread below cause we really should do it. Richard... you up for it as well?

http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/general-chat/1326-iwf-meetup-knees-up.html

Rgds,

Dave

HAHAHA, no worries. She knows how professional we are :) But the odd "Your website is class" wouldn't go astray!

Thanks for the feedback on the site guys. Running some tests here with my guys and the CPU thing is something we overlooked. Thanks a lot guys. 90% CPU usage on the intro.swf! Damn. Sometimes you think your just too good ;)

louie

I like it. As it was said above the flash goes very well with Nightclubs and the likes.

There is just one thing that doesn't look right.
The input text field for the mailing list seems to be too wide for the rest of the text. ( IE7 browser) and the text you type seems to be white.
you have too much padding for input box as the text size seems to be right and for the colour it seems you have it #ffffff.

The copyright I think should be white as well to go with the other 2 links

this should be your problem:
Code:
<!--[if IE]><style type="text/css"> .event, .thumbs { behavior: url(csshover.htc); } .form-textarea, .form-input, #mailing-list .input, .attributeinput input, #attribute1, #name, #phone, #email, #unemail, #date, #people, #occassion, #membership-nr { background-attachment: fixed } .form-field { padding-bottom: 4px } </style><![endif]-->

addoc

i like the site very impressive. The flash suits this kinda site. I think flash is a problem when its an intro to a site and people get po'd waiting.

I did a bit of market reasearch for you for the crack. since ye're all looking at it from the designer/programming side, i sent the site on to 5 people in the office here. These would be strictly users and would have no web design/ programming backgorund.

All thought it was an excellent site

4 said the labels(gallery, content etc) could be a bit easier to read.
3 clicked on the word velvet to right, to get back to home.

just petty stuff

TheMenace

I like the site. Very night-clubby! It's very similar to one that I did for my mate's club in London a few years ago - although it was a rush job; this is a lot better!

Not much to say other than the two points made by addoc should probably be addressed.

RedCardinal

i like the site very impressive. The flash suits this kinda site. I think flash is a problem when its an intro to a site and people get po'd waiting.

I did a bit of market reasearch for you for the crack. since ye're all looking at it from the designer/programming side, i sent the site on to 5 people in the office here. These would be strictly users and would have no web design/ programming backgorund.

just petty stuff
Fantastic free usability testing - I think Dave owes you a pint (or whatever you poison is).

Redfly

Addoc,
Thank you SO much. You are a star. I'd normally have to pay for something like that. About the logo, I mentioned it at the beginning of the project and checking back, it's actually still in my snag list. Thanks for pointing that out.

Regarding the nav and labels, you are right. I'm going to see if I can come up with a similar more readable colour combination.

The Menace: What club was it? Is it still live? I assure you none of our work is plagiarized and never has been if that's where you are going with that. We were given a website of a nightclub in Galway to base the navigation off, but that quickly changed. Still to make the markup semantic and a few improvements (Flash CPU usage).

Thanks to everyone so far and Addoc, if there is a meetup of you are at SMW07, I owe you a pint.

just petty stuff

babyboy808

Very imprressive Dave. This is the way your supposed to use flash. Good Job. I did notice something while looking in IE7 though, nothing big. The entire content is placed at the top of the browser, not the middle. should be easily fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.