my own creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaxxon

i am completely new to thisplace and thought i'd start by showing (*off*) my site.
i am no designer or coder and my skills are basically cut and paste and limited know-how of turning on photoshop notepad and dreamweaver.
since i couldnt afford a good site i made my own and am submitting it here for your critique. It is based on an open source skeleton that i modified with differant additions, css, and some trial and error code pasting

please be as brutaly honest as you wish with your comments but also give direction on how to repair what needs repairing.

thanks

Ron

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Images are way too big. You need to create and use proper thumbnails

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
You can do it with any graphics package .... All you need to do is resize copies of the images to fit with whatever you are doing

effect

honestly, if you value your business, hire someone to do that site. Aesthetically so much is wrong, coding isn't perfect either.

louie

i am no designer or coder and my skills are basically cut and paste and limited ....................
thanks

Ron

You got that right.
You'll be better off getting somebody to design it for you with a proper CMS system.
I dislike Oscommerce. Too complicated and not easy to customise.

zaxxon

Maybe have a tagline stating what your business does in the header.
yeah - its 'in the pipeline'

blcakknight, at the risk of sounding emmensly stupid, i still do not understand what you mean exactly. do you mean the images are too big dimension wise or KB sizewise?
if its KB size- i tryed reducingit with photoshop and jpeg pro but the quality of the image is very much reduced below 70KB, i am sure i havent got it right, since i have seen other images on webpages that are so much smaller, but do not know how to achieve a high enough quality with that lo KB size
any pointers there ?

am also not exactly sure what you mean by thumbnail. do you mean the image ? or what?

louie

try using 50 or 60% quality.
The text inside images - use soft edges.
modify the website to get thumbnails created for small images.
Also some of them are still png, which is alright for small icons but not really for products.

babyboy808

Your images are jagged and look a bit unprofessional... They are bigger than the required size for the thumbnail.

Take for example, your thumbnail (Nod32) this image's size is 422 x 450px. But you have used the width and height attributes to constrain the size to 85 x 90px

Use a graphics package to edit them to the required size :)

zaxxon

modify the website to get thumbnails created for small images.

how do i do that ?
Your images are jagged and look a bit unprofessional... They are bigger than the required size for the thumbnail.

Take for example, your thumbnail (Nod32) this image's size is 422 x 450px. But you have used the width and height attributes to constrain the size to 85 x 90px
yes i saw that and was hoping to find a way to change that. the problem is that if i get a smaller image there, then when a customer clicks 'click to enlarge' there is no enlargement.

Status
Not open for further replies.