Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks

Hey Guys,

Im making my first venture into the world of ecommerce websites so im hoping to pick the brains of a few of ye.

Platform wise ive being looking at Magento & xCart.

I installed Magento to have a mess around with but im hearing some horror stories with regards to how tough it is to modify/edit it, the admin area does seem fairly busy but wether this would take time to get used to or not im not sure.

xCart is currently being uploaded to one of my servers for testing, a site sponsor of mine uses it on their site and it seems very user friendly from what i can see etc.. but unlike Magento it has a price tag.

With regards to online payments i have decided to go with Realex after doing extensive research. I know magento is compatible with realex but not sure about xcart (waiting to hear back from realex)

So my questions to anyone in the know;

Magento or xCart?

Thanks.

MOH

I'm getting close to launching an ecommerce site, with Magento. The admin side of it isn't too bad once you go through it, making coding changes is something I'm finding fairly complicated, but I've no experience with the Zend framework which is hampering me a bit.

The other main concern with it is performance. I was getting close to ditching it, but some googling led me to a few performance tweaks so it's running reasonably OK now - but that's on a site with <100 products. I'm moving host before it goes live and hoping the performance will stil be satisfactory - that'd be my main concern with it

My second choice would have been ZenCart, might be worth a look.

bucks

Im gonna have a look at ZenCart and see what thats like, if its easy to use and has some nice theme choices then it may be a runner.

Realex got back to me and they currently dont support (although they are working on this) xCart so that puts me off them.

Noddy

Having tried most open source e-commerce packages over the years, I have finally settled on Zen Cart - there is very little that can't be customised within the backend administration system and I have not yet had to start hacking through code to achieve required functionality. This is a big bonus in terms of eliminating site bugs.

We are using Zen to develop a fully managed e-commerce service including hosted e-shops which can be plugged into existing websites and online marketing through a shared portal.

At the moment, we are looking for some retailers to trial this service, so if you know anybody who might be interested, please contact me.

davidpmccarthy

It has to be Magento all the way.
I spend 12 months developing what now is quite a large store (5000 SKUs) with 6 domains.
It is a wonderful and hugely powerful platform, and not difficult at all to work with. There are mountains of free extensions and an array of moderate price extensions that kick ass.
You will need to get yourself some proper hosting tho if you want to be serious about it. I tried a number of them here in Ireland, Blacknight Maxiums etc, but none of them have the horsepower of support service required to support the production site.
I did not want to pay for a dedicated or virtual server so researched Magento's hosting partners. I have now been with nexcess.net with a SIP100 and SIP200 hosting (secure isolated container) and the sites run like **** off a shiny shovel. The expertise support I get from nexcess (who know Magento inside out) is beyond belief and I cannot recommend them high enough. 24/7 immediate response by real professionals who know exactly what they are doing. Full backup and restore service etc etc. Check out our main store at Claddagh Lane - Gifts from world leading brands all in one store. and see the speed. Nexcess are based near Detroit, but are a truly global company. Let me know if you need anything else, info etc. david@kreators.net

Status
Not open for further replies.