Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasia

Hi Everyone,

I've just launched new online store with baby products.
It's based on osCommerce. This is my first project using this e-commerce solution. Would you let me know what you think about it?
ANY feedback is VERY welcome (positive or negative).

Thanks lads,

Kasia

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Kasia

Welcome to the site :)

The first thing I'd say is check your images. The thumbnails on the main page aren't proper thumbnails, so the site is incredibly slow to load.

Kasia

That was quick reply!
I've changed all the pictures.
To be honest I expected osCom to make thumbnails automaticly, and never noticed pictures are so "heavy". They even look better now (don't know why I didn't notice wrong size myself :eek:).
Thanks blacknight and ziycon.
Any other comments?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any SEO plugins for OS Commerce? The URLs you have at the moment aren't very semantic and probably won't help you with organic traffic

Kasia

I realised that last night after reading your post and searching for the solution, I just thought that would be in basic store instalation. Learnt something new ;)

RedCardinal

Out of curiosity, did you set this all up yourself? And if so, how did you find the experience? How long was the development?

It's quite cute and cuddly for the target market. I find it difficult to read 'BESTSELLERS' and 'SHOPPING CART'. I think that breaking the page up with some different background colors might also help guide visitors to the required page element (e.g. navigation, products, cart).

One small point is that you could push the header up a bit to draw more content above the fold. You have a lot of wasted real-estate up there, and you would be amazed at how lazy people are when it comes to scrolling.

You still have the thumbnail issue on some pages BabyStore.ie - Baby Bedding, Baby Clothes, Baby Accesories, Pregnancy & Support Pillows (out of stock image).

I would fix up the canonical URL, and install a SEO plugin as per Michele's suggestion.

Interesting to hear how long it took you, and whether you are experienced in this?

Kasia

Thanks RedCardinal for your comments. I've made few changes already.

Yes, I did it myself (as you can see...)
I spend nice few evenings on that over the last few months (since October to be honest :p). Now, with all I've learned so far it would not take longer than a month ;)
Sometimes I think osCom is great solution it is so easy to adapt, modify and with countless contributions gives so many posibilities, but sometimes I promissed myself that very first money earned on that store will go straight to professional webdesigner pocket. It's just because I'm what you would call lamer, and few times I've spend long hours digging in php codes to make minor changes.
And that's also why I cant underestimate your comments. Keep going lads...

Redfly

Thanks RedCardinal for your comments. I've made few changes already.

Yes, I did it myself (as you can see...)
I spend nice few evenings on that over the last few months (since October to be honest :p). Now, with all I've learned so far it would not take longer than a month ;)
Sometimes I think osCom is great solution it is so easy to adapt, modify and with countless contributions gives so many posibilities, but sometimes I promissed myself that very first money earned on that store will go straight to professional webdesigner pocket. It's just because I'm what you would call lamer, and few times I've spend long hours digging in php codes to make minor changes.
And that's also why I cant underestimate your comments. Keep going lads...

That's good thinking out of you. I highly recommend a new design and changing your background colour to white. You might have a little trouble finding a decent designer willing to work with the OSC templating nightmare.

As Michele suggested, some sort of SE friendly URL plugin.

Do you stock all your products?
Have you made any sales?

Kasia

redflystudios,

Thank for your opinion.
I've tried white bacground and didn't really like it. I've left white bacground in products pictures, to make colours look real.

Changing URLs - thats my next task. Will take care of it ASAP.

Answering your questions:
yes, we stock all products (planing to get some more soon)
yes, we had first customers (which was quite surprising, as we didn't advertised website yet, I've only posted on mum's forum to get some website feedback)

I will have to stick to OSC for while. I wanted to start small, get as much feedback as posible and than develop, investing bigger money in it, just to be sure to go in the right direction. So that's my first steps. Realy appreciate what you are telling me.

thanks again

PS
I liked your designs a lot, that's whole different ligue...

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough :)
I was just wondering.

Some of the SEO plugins are pretty comprehensive, whereas others just do the URLs

Status
Not open for further replies.