Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyglennon

Could some of you have a quick look over this free site: UseAmap.com - TinyUrl.com but for Maps, save your map and share it,comes with driving directions, perfect for events and trips and let me know your feedback or any ideas etc. I am still based in college, but I believe this site is very handy for events or contact us pages in websites.
Features include:
Extensive Driving Directions(think AA Roadmaps)
Save a map with a short name like UseAmap.com - TinyUrl.com but for Maps, save your map and share it,comes with driving directions, perfect for events and trips
Embed a map quickly onto your contact us page….everyone here can do it, I reckon with ease;).
Can create a new map, and make a link for SEO reasons back to your own site
Image Gallery coming soon.

Looking forward to your comments,
Vinny Glennon
DCU
Dublin

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
It's a really nice idea.

The only big problem is that the Google maps for the area I am interested in are really poor :mad:

daviddoran

Yeah, it's a bit sparse for Ireland but it looks nicely designed and no more complicated than it has to be.

vinnyglennon

Map quality

Hi,
Thanks very much. After Christmas, I am introducing a new feature in that you can quickly change the mapping technology behind the images, to give you a better quality. At the moment, it is using TeleAtlas, for rural area, Navtech is much better(Navtech displays my village is Roscommon). Navtech is currently being used by the driving directions portion of the website. Hopefully this will move forward in solving your issue.

lisboyboy

Poor Directions

Hi,
I wasent sure what the site was ment to do
You could do with better directions on how to use the site
Also I am not sure that everyone knows what the tern TAG means!

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. Some people are thick and some people are really thick, you need to cater for both sorts.
While that may be true I'd prefer to put it in different terms...

You need to make the site more user friendly - *cough*

vinnyglennon

Hi,
Thanks all for your thoughts. I agree with taking out of the word tag, as it is not very clear. I have also changed the layout of the front page to make it more obvious as to the center goal of website. Finally when viewing an actual map itself, I have changed the layout of the links at the top of the page for usability reasons-I felt some of the information was too buried to find easily.
If you have any other thoughts, or any other improvements, please let me know on these boards. And thanks to everyone for their help so far.
Vinny

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Just playing with it again this evening....

If I use an apostrophe in the link name ie. linking to my site for example, it displays the strip slashes

vinnyglennon

Hi Blacknight,
What was you map name? I will look into this straight away and fix it for you if it is indeed showing the slashes. Thanks for spotting this.
Vinny

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Vinny

You don't need to fix mine :)
I was only playing with it.. But if you could fix the actual issue that would be cool

Michele

vinnyglennon

Michele,
Only reason I ask, is that at the moment, the code strips the slashes and I was wondering what part you were refering to.
With a visual of the problem, I can sort it out much quicker. If you dont want to post the link up, can you email me at vinny@useamap.com with it.
Thanks very much,
Vinny

vinnyglennon

Name showing correctly

Thanks very much for that, the name will now show up correct without slashes, also found 1-2 other places without slashes;)
I have changed the example page to useamap.com/sample to better explain the idea behind the site. The site not been usable by non computer literate people or people not understanding the purpose of the site, is in my books the worst possible thing a site can do. Let me know your thoughts and especially your opinion.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you so verbose in the links?

Code:
For more information see this site: [URL="http://www.mneylon.com/blog"]Michele's blog[/URL](goes to  [url]http://www.mneylon.com/blog)[/url]

Is the second part really necessary?

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
In Fact, it is one of my first times to use this type of forum. MY signatuture got a little messed up:)
Vinny
I'd noticed that :)

Now you seem to have removed the link entirely!

Anyhow I was actually referring to the link on your site if you look at my previous post ....

vinnyglennon

Seo link

Hi,
There was a couple of reasons for the lengthly message. The original idea, is that it would be handy for a Map to be linked to an actual website, for example the homepage of the person who created it. It would also function as a SEO feature, in that it is another link to a site. As UseAMap.com got busier, each small link would increasingly impact some of its influence to the owner's desired website, and boast the PageRank value for their own site.
I wanted to quickly explain what this was, and that was with the generic message "For more information see this site:" . Some people want to see what a link will bring them too, before they link on it, hence the "goes to http://www.mneylon.com/blog" notice.
This takes up a lot of real estate on the page, and am very keen if anyone has any ideas to improve this.
Vinny

Status
Not open for further replies.