PHP Cache Engines - Which One??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mneylon

Administrator
Staff member
VBSeo supports several caching engines, but I'm not sure which one is the best to use.

Which one gives the best performance boost?

Ones available (supported) are:

• memcached
  • APC Cache
  • Xcache
  • eAccelerator
Do any of them cause issues with other PHP modules?

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
believe it or not in the past I had mixed performance improvements via APC and Xcache ... this was with Magento though ... memcached rings a bell as well in the end I think I went with APC I'd have to check though.

MOH

believe it or not in the past I had mixed performance improvements via APC and Xcache ... this was with Magento though ... memcached rings a bell as well in the end I think I went with APC I'd have to check though.

How did you find APC with Magento? I'm playing around with a Magento site a the moment and opinion seems to be split 50-50 between APC and Xcache, haven't got around to trying either yet.

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
How did you find APC with Magento? I'm playing around with a Magento site a the moment and opinion seems to be split 50-50 between APC and Xcache, haven't got around to trying either yet.

I think a lot of the time the questions should not be how did I find it ... but more so what type of system did you have to begin with ...

It won't work miracles if you're starting with a pretty basic configuration (vps or whatever)

OfficeSpot

I have used magento on shared hosting, vps with hosting company, dedicated server with virtualbox, tested and tried apc, eAccelerator and more, but the best solution to speed up magento is have a dedicated machine i.e. Xeon 3000 series processor, 4Gb RAM on a high speed line in a data centre, then modify your php.ini and apache.conf to enable essential mods and you will get your speeds. Anybody tested Magento on Zend Server or with Zend Optimiser? To answer the question at the start of the thread - eAccelerator seems to be the most affective and trouble free, have never had any issues with other php mods.

mabnux

Hi,

APC Cache (Eaccelerator and other similar caches) is Fast but it is not distributed so you’re wasting cache and reducing possible hit rate by caching things locally if you have many web servers. MemcacheD is relatively slow but distributed and so you do not waste memory by caching same item in a few places, it is also faster to warmup as you need only one access to bring item into the cache, not access for each of web servers.

APC will be great for caching small but frequently accessed things which are not taking too much memory. Memcached is good for caching things which take large amount of space combined and which you only need to fetch few per page.

Therefore depending upon the number of queries and hits you can select the cache engines.

You can also try combining cache engines, example memcached + eAccelerator-xCache, only memcached, and only eAccelerator-xCache.

The best result is with all cached with xCache.

Note: server running SuPHP should not be run along with eAccelerator.

HAND

Status
Not open for further replies.