Status
Not open for further replies.

adrian5750

Hi All

I had a question from a web design client the other day - didn't really have an answer - and wondered what others in my situation do...

..My situation - I do a bit of web design work, probably represents only 10 - 15% of my income - don't go looking for clients but work through word-of-mouth and recommendation. Just me - no other employees.

One of these clients said 'What happens if you die ?" (Cheerful blighter!)

He was concerned about passwords, hosting accounts, etc.

I suppose I could write everything down in a little black book - and deposit it with my solicitor along with appropriate instructions - but wondered what steps & provisions other one-man-band designers had made for this unfortunate eventuality...

Ideas, please ......

TIA
Adrian

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
one or two of my clients were worried about this in the past so they just registered the hosting / domains themselves. (not the most technical person so they got a relative to do it)

I've no problem with that.

Set up accounts for the people on your system giving them the ftp / domain passwords and so on ? (reseller accounts)

nevf

I use projectPier - host all the passwords there as well. For the passwords that the client is not to see, i post it as a note on the client for my own use only really.

If, in the event that i ever died, my friend who doesn't live around here at the moment has their own admin account. Only time anyone will ever see him around here again is if I die, so feck it...

cgarvey

I use a peering arrangement! I have access to a friend's client list/passowds/etc., and he mine.

An other option is to put the important details (like where to find all clients, contacts and passwords on your PC/network) in an envelope somewhere safe and tell a friend/family member where that is. Include a phone number of an other friend (if first dude isn't technical) who can help sort out the mess (or even take the business on).

EdenWeb

I'm amazed at how often that question comes up too.
A friend of mine who created a very complex web-based application for a Mortagage broker was even asked to 'create a manual' so that if he died the client could 'update it himself'. We're not talking CMS here. Friend told client to buy 'Learn PHP and MySQL' in 24 hours :)

Forbairt

Teaching / Designing / Developing
A friend of mine who created a very complex web-based application for a Mortagage broker was even asked to 'create a manual' so that if he died the client could 'update it himself'. We're not talking CMS here. Friend told client to buy 'Learn PHP and MySQL' in 24 hours :)

Classic I must actually remember that for one of my clients :D

cgarvey

I presume said friend also explained why it was easier said than done, and wrote a briefing note that would be suitable for any other developer to help out should something happen?

nevf

Brilliant. If you have any problems, ring me - can't guarantee that I'll be there to answer the phone though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.