POP access on the ireland.com mail service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remo

Has anyone managed to set up POP access on the new ireland.com email service.

I have been trying for the last few hours and as far as I can see all my settings are correct in Outlook.

Knowing me its probably user error but just wanted to check if anyone else having the same problems

Cheers
Remo

Remo

I didn't use the old one as would never pay for an email address, but it's now 5gb of storage, all Ajax based, and they have dropped the paywall so now a free service

I only found out about it as helping my dad figure out how to use it:)

mct1

Hi Remo

I was in fact looking for the answer to this very question 2 days ago. I set my new ireland.com email address up to work via POP on Outlook Express exactly as instructed. However, I although I can send emails, I can't receive them through POP, only through the ireland.com "forward a copy" facility.

When I check for messages on OE, I get a box asking for my user name and password. When I click on this, I am told that the server did not recognise the password.

Like you, I've double-checked everything, so it's a mystery.

I've just emailed the contact address given (services@irish-times.com) and have received an automated reply saying my query will be dealt with soon. So I'll post again when I hear from them.

(Sorry, I'm not exactly a webmaster, but I do have a Blacknight account and my own website. Probably a bit low-tech for here.)

Clare

mct1

Update

Just to update as promised. Just received this reply from Customer Service at Ireland.com

"Unfortunately, the POP and IMAP facility is not offered as part of the free service at this time.

"It may be that it becomes available at a later date, as part of the on-going development of the service, but for now, there are no plans to introduce this.

"I apologise for any inconvenience caused."

So there we go. Not much good to me without POP access I'm afraid!

Cheers
Clare

mauvehillgus

In case anyone is still wondering about setting this up:

For POP3 Settings:
Username - username@ireland.com
Password - your account password
Incoming POP3 Server - pop3.ireland.com
Incoming Port - 110
Outgoing SMTP Server - smtpx.ireland.com
Outgoing Port - 25 or 587
SMTP Authentication - Yes
SSL - No

You need to set "My SMTP Server requires authentication" in the servers tab aswell. Also be sure to ask Outlook/OE to leave a copy of your mails on the server...

Hope this helps.

MHG

Byron

Hmm interesting. I'm sure they'll allow POP3 access as soon as they figure out how to attach ads to emails, their turnover suggests they'll need to at IT HQ

m_murphy

I kept having problems with the above settings so I emailed Ireland.com
Their reply ----

Here are our settings:
Incoming server: imap.ireland.com

Incoming port number: 993

Use SSL (secure sockets)

Outgoing server: smtpx.ireland.com

Outgoing port number: 465

Use SSL

Username will be your email address everything before the @ sign.

Password will be the password you use to sign in on webmail.

PaddyJoe

In case anyone is still wondering about setting this up:

For POP3 Settings:
Username - username@ireland.com
Password - your account password
Incoming POP3 Server - pop3.ireland.com
Incoming Port - 110
Outgoing SMTP Server - smtpx.ireland.com
Outgoing Port - 25 or 587
SMTP Authentication - Yes
SSL - No

You need to set "My SMTP Server requires authentication" in the servers tab aswell. Also be sure to ask Outlook/OE to leave a copy of your mails on the server...

Hope this helps.

MHG

Thank you for the information. I was able to set up email on Linux Ubuntu email client Evolution using the information given above.

PaddyJoe

When I tried the method posted by mauvehillgus I was able to receive messages but not to send messages.
Then I came across the method posted by m_murphy on 11-07-2010.
I am trying to set up Evolution email in Linux Ubuntu. When I used the Incoming and Outgoing servers in m_murphy's method, which proposes IMAP instead of POP3 it appeared to be going in. The following messaged appeared:
Scanning folders in IMAP server for ireland.com
Fetching summary information for new messages in INBOX

I am still not able to receive my ireland.com messages in Linux Evolution

Please can anyone help.

Thank you.

Paddy

Denzil

Ireland.com Setup codes for Kindle Fire Tablet

I can't get my Kindle Fire tablet to send or receive email from ireland.com has anyone setup their Kindle Fire and can share the codes the used?

Gerry Martin

Email Set up, @ireland.com

i have email set up and am receiving mails but my outgoing mails are not sending, even though they appear in Sent folder. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.